• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey

Anthony York

3 Year Member
just be sure to research them before you get them and make sure you can handle them first especially if you want to get a P. Metallica the venom is quiet potent and they are fast but don't let me saying this this change your mind my first T was the P. Metallica

sasspants

3 Year Member
I always research them beforehand but thank you anyway :) People said the same about getting an OBT so soon haha

Anthony York

3 Year Member
my thing is get what ever T you want just be sure you know what your getting into first and if you think you can handle some of the so called expert Care T's go for it cause you want truly know it you can care for them until you try

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my thing is get what ever T you want just be sure you know what your getting into first and if you think you can handle some of the so called expert Care T's go for it cause you want truly know it you can care for them until you try
I don't disagree with that. As long as you truly understand that they have special needs or can deliver a special BITE, you will be fine. Just being on this forum gives you a huge advantage and can remove the learning curves normally recommended in the books before you go advanced.

sasspants

3 Year Member
Thanks guys for the advice, it makes it a lot easier and a lot less worrying knowing you have people to ask when you have a problem :T:

Poec54

3 Year Member

There's been plenty of examples that prove otherwise. Online research is no substitute for experience with tarantulas, any more than it is for learning how to swim. No beginner is prepared to deal with a jack-in-the-box with fangs, when they have little, if any, experience with tarantulas. It's one thing to have slings; it becomes very different when a few months later that OBT has grown and is standing in a threat pose every time it's cage is touched. They're known for racing out of cages in a panic and biting whatever gets in their way. It's not fair to the people and pets you live with (tarantula bites have killed cats and dogs, large dogs). They should not get dragged into your miscalculations.

Tarantulas are banned in some countries and cities around the world. Politicians and anti-exotic pet groups are looking for an excuse to justify taking away our spiders. One of the things that will get them banned in the US is beginners getting species beyond their skill/experience level. Things don't happen in a vacuum. If a child gets bit by an escaped OBT in the house, that could be it. No more hobby. Adults go to emergency rooms in the middle of the night from some tarantula bites. Can you imagine a child going thru that, and how it would go viral worldwide?

For docile NW's, yes, 'do some research and go for it' is good advice. For OW's it isn't. The average person should get species in stages and work their way up to advanced species. You need a foundation to build on. Take your time, enjoy what you have, get familiar with them. Initially, everyone gets spooked by large, hairy, unpredictable fast-moving spiders. Without experience, there will be situations with advanced species where you won't know what to do, or will do the wrong thing, which is one reason there's so many bites and escapes. It's not a race to jump in the deep end. There's no awards for that. Today there's beautiful species for every experience level. I've had tarantulas for 42 years, and although my collection now is mostly OW, I still have some Brachypelma and Aphonopelma. They're gorgeous animals.

sasspants

3 Year Member
I disagree, myself and my partner own a Chilean rose and an OBT. And we were advised a Chilean Rose because of their docile nature, and advised against an OBT because of their aggressive nature. But our OBT is sweet as pie and our Chilean Rose is a *****. I believe individual spiders have their own personalities and own temperaments. But hey, everyone has their own opinions.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I disagree, myself and my partner own a Chilean rose and an OBT. And we were advised a Chilean Rose because of their docile nature, and advised against an OBT because of their aggressive nature. But our OBT is sweet as pie and our Chilean Rose is a *****. I believe individual spiders have their own personalities and own temperaments. But hey, everyone has their own opinions.
I agree on the statement each specimen is different from the next,so it is sometimes your docile ones that can also act up.

Poec54

3 Year Member

Rosea's are famous for mood swings. How long have you had tarantulas and how big is your OBT? There's precious few that have 'sweet' ones.

sasspants

3 Year Member
Thanks Tongue Flicker! Its nice to be back, just moved into a new home and the internet had to be set up...its killed me haha