• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey this is Finn I'm only 7 but I just got my first tarantula for my birthday

Greg wilcox

3 Year Member
image.jpg My sling hasn't eaten for about 7 weeks and I'm getting worried can someone please help

Greg wilcox

3 Year Member
My tarantula is a Selenotypus Wallace sling and my first spider . When I first got my spider it ate quite often but hasn't now for weeks and weeks, at least a month if not longer. I was wondering if maybe the spider was going to molt. It has been really cold here too lately ( -8 celcuis three days in a row ) so worried about that too. Any help would be great thanks !!
IMG_2788.JPG

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is there a bald black patch on the Abdomen , if so this means your T is in molt, really can`t tell from the photo.
You also mention temperature, are you using a heat mat ?.

Greg wilcox

3 Year Member
We don't use a heat mat as we got told it creates hot spots on the bottom of the container the tarantula currently is living in and could possibly dry the tarantula out. The tarantula has been kept in a quiet spot in his little plastic container in Mums room which is heated most of the time.
My tarantula is an Australian one ( we only have terrestrial here ) and is only fairly little. I will try to get a bettter shot of his abdomen too and thank you for all the help

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We don't use a heat mat as we got told it creates hot spots on the bottom of the container the tarantula currently is living in and could possibly dry the tarantula out. The tarantula has been kept in a quiet spot in his little plastic container in Mums room which is heated most of the time.
My tarantula is an Australian one ( we only have terrestrial here ) and is only fairly little. I will try to get a bettter shot of his abdomen too and thank you for all the help
Heat mats are ok as long as you use a Thermostat to control temperature and only place half of the container( depending on size) on the mat .
I`m in UK so I need to use them not so much at the moment as my lounge is 80.2F. never had any problems with T`s drying out.