• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Here's my Pride and Joy "Stig" posing for a photo. Identification?

scrible

3 Year Member
Here's my pride and joy Stig. This is the first real good photo I have gotten of her. I have had her for about 3 months. She is a real friendly 4.5" tarantula who is about 4-5 years old according the the previous owner who got her at 1". I took the photo on a black background to help show her coloration. What is your guys opinion, is she a G. porteri, G. rosea, or something else?

Stig Posing.jpg

scrible

3 Year Member
I think she is a G. porteri which is technically a "Rose hair" if I am not confused but isn't a G. rosea which is only the red color form. What confuses me about her is that she has some red coloration in her hair, which I haven't seen in other G. porteri. She also doesn't have the purplish colored carapace that I see on some, although I know this isn't universal.

newtots

3 Year Member
rosies are red color forms and the porteri can either be tan(silver or grey...whatever color you refer to yours as) or pink and tan....i had the same debate with mine but mine shows lots of pink. i asked amanda at tarantula canada and she confirmed mine as a g. porteri. below is mine
jcs-grammostola-rosea-24987.jpg

Latest posts