• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP with Blue Cobalt

Scott Fitzgerald

3 Year Member
You are correct. Here is the scientific name - Mexican redrump tarantula, Brachypelma vagans. Here is a pic. He is a sub-adult. About 2 years old.
I am going to take your advice and unplug the heater. Perhaps that is why my Blue Cobalt died...from dehydration. Perhaps I am making this harder than it needs to be. Thanks for your advice. I will let you know how Rudy is doing.

Attachments

• tarantula.jpg
    tarantula.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 13

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Brachypelma are a very hardy, and forgiving, species when it comes to their care. They do not require an environment that is high maintenance. I have seen the range for their temperature start at 50 degrees on the low end, which is probably the night time temperature, and go as high at 85 degrees. That is a huge range and I am guessing that your home temperatures are probably smack dab in the middle of that on a steady basis... which they will do just fine in. Since Rudy is a male, it is beneficial for him to be kept at a bit lower temperatures than a female because that will extend his life to some degree. It makes their growth a bit slower and he will reach maturity later. Keeping him a bit cooler means that he'll be around longer. Feeding him a little less than the norm for a female will also slow his maturing down. He definitely doesn't need a heating pad.
It is very common for people to want to give their tarantulas the very best and ensure that they are happy and healthy, but often that requires less rather than more. The Brachypelmas are one of those species where less is often just what makes them thrive.
You'll do fine and you're in the right place to become an expert in no time. Rudy is a gorgeous little guy.

Scott Fitzgerald

3 Year Member
Thank you very much for your input and attentiveness. I too feel I have made a big leap just in the short time we have talked. I was making it harder than it needs to be. Rudy is a beauty...or should I say handsome guy. Your advice is great! How long have you been keeping "T's?" How many do you have?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
care sheets are old and outdated, they give a vague idea of what you need for substrate etc, but pretty much worthless otherwise. To many people stress out about humidity levels.

All the Brachypelma genus needs is a waterdish and ventilation. Once they get about 1.5" they'll stop burrowing as much, so i let the subsrate dry out. Up to that size i keep mine in a semi-moist substrate to hold shape while they burrow.

Temps are wide ranged. Room temp is fine. If you're comfy in a tshirt they're happy. No need for a heat pad.

Vagans love to burrow, and spend a lot of time in the burrow or hide. Don't disturb them, they're not pets that are supposed to be handled. Let them be spiders and just observe them. If you must handle them let them decide when. If he's out in the open you can try putting your fingers in the enclosure and gently nudge him onto them with a make up brush or soft paint brush. If he doesn't want to go don't force him.

Covering the burrow or hide entrance is a sign they don't want to be disturbed. Could be premolt, or could be they've had enough of the stupid cricket in the enclosure and want some peace. He'll open his burrow or hide again when he's ready to face the world and have a bite to eat.

Scott Fitzgerald

3 Year Member
That is great advice and I will follow it. Like I said before I think I was making this raising a "T" to complicated. Thank you for your care and attentiveness.

Scott

VanessaS

3 Year Member
That is great advice and I will follow it. Like I said before I think I was making this raising a "T" to complicated. Thank you for your care and attentiveness.
Scott

Yes, I think that you can be overwhelmed by the information that is provided on the internet and most of it is garbage. You have to read everything you can and there will be pieces of information that you will see repeated over and over. That is the stuff you have to pay attention to. Forums are a better resource because people can call bull$hit on posts that are garbage. Caresheets don't allow feedback for the most part.
I think that joining a forum is the better option. That makes you ahead of the game over just reading caresheets.
The people on this forum are very knowledgeable and don't mind answering questions. Some forums... not so much. You found yourself the right place to get good information and to be treated fairly.
I love it here.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, I think that you can be overwhelmed by the information that is provided on the internet and most of it is garbage. You have to read everything you can and there will be pieces of information that you will see repeated over and over. That is the stuff you have to pay attention to. Forums are a better resource because people can call bull$hit on posts that are garbage. Caresheets don't allow feedback for the most part.
I think that joining a forum is the better option. That makes you ahead of the game over just reading caresheets.
The people on this forum are very knowledgeable and don't mind answering questions. Some forums... not so much. You found yourself the right place to get good information and to be treated fairly.
I love it here.
Very well said!

Latest posts