• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help/Tips

rénee

3 Year Member
My boyfriend has 2 emp. scorpions and with him being away with work and all a lot, i have kind of taken over taking care of them (Plus my own T's). Unfortunately i am still new to the whole T thing, let alone scorpions.
Anyway.. I noticed today that the scorpions sub has some fungus and mold growing near the bottom.. not anywhere on the top, but is this still harmful? Cause obviously i can't spot clean this..
SO, Should i change the sub, scrub everything down and put new sub in?
IF SO, what is the best kind of sub, we are using coco husk, and it is pretty moist, and has a red light to help with humidity. I was misting once in the morning a bit, and once in the evening.. i feel as if i probably ended up doing too much. Its just the hygrometer kept dropping, and these guys need higher humidity.

Please if somebody could give me some advice and tips on what i can do about this, and if i do need to do a "reset" as i would like to call it.. what should i do differently to help prevent this again.. I'm assuming its a bit harder due to the fact that it is a moist environment with not a lot of airflow FOR the fact of humidity?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've had no experience with scorpions, I'm sure someone here does though, but anyway, can you remove the area with the mold and mix a drier bit of substrate in with it? Remember, any moisture dependent invert needs good cross ventilation, I assume that goes for P imperator as well.

rénee

3 Year Member
I've had no experience with scorpions, I'm sure someone here does though, but anyway, can you remove the area with the mold and mix a drier bit of substrate in with it? Remember, any moisture dependent invert needs good cross ventilation, I assume that goes for P imperator as well.
No unfortunately I don't think I can just remove the area, it is kind of in alot of different areas and that's only from what I can see, who knows what's in the middle. See I thought the same thing with cross ventilation, but he has had them for about 6 or 7 years now with no x vent, and they seem to do just fine? This is the first time he says it has molded or got fungus, and really that is my fault.. I probably did mist too often, he never told me what I was doing was wrong.. but I am the one to blame.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No unfortunately I don't think I can just remove the area, it is kind of in alot of different areas and that's only from what I can see, who knows what's in the middle. See I thought the same thing with cross ventilation, but he has had them for about 6 or 7 years now with no x vent, and they seem to do just fine? This is the first time he says it has molded or got fungus, and really that is my fault.. I probably did mist too often, he never told me what I was doing was wrong.. but I am the one to blame.
Yeah, if there's that much just replace it. Better to be safe.:)

rénee

3 Year Member
Bah, you can make them a good starter burrow to make up for it.;)
Lmao caillou ( the male - and yes.. that's his name lmao) will realize what I did and won't like it, he's stubborn, he will give me that scary stare he does when I watch him o_O

Attachments

• 20151207_215421.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts