• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help, my tarantula is acting wierd, she puts her ass up.

Martina

3 Year Member
Hi, I have question about my tarantula Gramostola rosea. I have her over a year, so she can be maybe 5 y/old. She molted about a month ago. Since than, she is acting wierd. She does not eat (that is not wierd part) but I noticed that she lifts her butt up, and I would say with no reason. She is alone, nobody is around and she is standing with her butt up. She never did it before. It started maybe a week after molting. Included a picture for understanding. I know that sometimes spiders put their butt up when they are in defence, but nobody is bothering her, so I do not understand it.

Attachments

• IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,481
Last edited:

Meludox

3 Year Member
My rosie frequently does this as well. She's actually my only T that does this, but it's really nothing to be worried about. They stand on their toes while grooming and sometimes just because.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've read it could be a defensive pose. Instead of flicking hairs their raising the butt like a porcupine. Not sure if that's accurate but sounds good to me ;)

Both my rosea and pulchra do this, i call it the "diaper walk" they'll stick their butt in the air, stand on their toes and shuffle to the hide or burrow, reminds me of a toddler walking with a full diaper.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is a defensive posture to look bigger to a potential threat. Normal behavior.
My T ockerti does this all the time before resorting to a raised leg, like it's saying 'ok, I warned you! Here comes the bristles!'
Have to admit I find it really cute.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi, I have question about my tarantula Gramostola rosea. I have her over a year, so she can be maybe 5 y/old. She molted about a month ago. Since than, she is acting wierd. She does not eat (that is not wierd part) but I noticed that she lifts her butt up, and I would say with no reason. She is alone, nobody is around and she is standing with her butt up. She never did it before. It started maybe a week after molting. Included a picture for understanding. I know that sometimes spiders put their butt up when they are in defence, but nobody is bothering her, so I do not understand it.
Honey it's a rosea, they don't need a reason for the things they do. I think they plot late at night for new ways to frustrate and confuse us.

vin16

3 Year Member
im worried to if it isnt normal..got my g. pulchripes today and when i tried to put her in my hand as i spray some water on her substrate she then lifts her abdomen and im actually disturbed bout this..my sling's bout half inch or smaller..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@vin16
It's a baby attempt to look bigger so the huge predator (you in this case) will be frightened away. A mellow threat pose type deal. One of my favorite poses.

vin16

3 Year Member
@vin16
It's a baby attempt to look bigger so the huge predator (you in this case) will be frightened away. A mellow threat pose type deal. One of my favorite poses.

thanks kymura..id decided to leave her be and dont want to bother with touching her or anything but my concern now is when the time she came to me today, the previous owner said that he fed her 2-3days ago and im here feeding her some lil worms(smaller than she is) but to my surprise she just walk past it like nobody's business..you think she mat starve? im a beginner anyways and this G. pulchripes is my new T..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She won't starve. If she's premolt it's possible that she's just not hungry. Try to give her food about the size of her abdomen. To big she may not take it to small the same deal. If it's mealworms crush the head first so they don't burrow. They can chew on your sling if they are left alive in there and she starts to molt.
Basically they'll eat when they need to :)

vin16

3 Year Member
She won't starve. If she's premolt it's possible that she's just not hungry. Try to give her food about the size of her abdomen. To big she may not take it to small the same deal. If it's mealworms crush the head first so they don't burrow. They can chew on your sling if they are left alive in there and she starts to molt.
Basically they'll eat when they need to :)
many said that when theyre in pre-molt they turn darker but mine doesnt..i tried to put on some mealworms for her and when the time i dropped her food gently in front of her she just fled..im worried mine wouldnt eat for days..relocated her just yesterday tho..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
many said that when theyre in pre-molt they turn darker but mine doesnt..i tried to put on some mealworms for her and when the time i dropped her food gently in front of her she just fled..im worried mine wouldnt eat for days..relocated her just yesterday tho..
G. pulchripes abdomen will darken as they go into premolt, especially as slings. They will stop eating for weeks or months before the molt depending on size. Nothing to worry about.

Wyatt Cook

3 Year Member
The only time my rose hair Zoe sticks her butt in the air is when I turn on the heater every time I turn the heater on she sticks her butt up in the air it's pretty funny to watch her do this she won't do it any other time but when I turn my heater on I think she does it because she enjoys the Heat

Terri

3 Year Member
My T will raise it abdomen when I massage her. She hasn't thrown hairs, pooped or even reared up, is it possible that she may enjoy the touch??? My first 'T'. Shes cute as a bug in a rug and hasn't so showed ANY sign of aggression at all except every now and then she'll be a little jumpy. Shes just over an inch in length.

Latest posts