• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! Is My Chaco golden knee slingsling dead?

SpiderJames

3 Year Member
This morning I found James (my sling) sitting still on his favorite part of his container. A couple of days ago he's been climbing to the lid and then jumping off. I was not worried since the height is not that tall. He molted around two weeks ago and he already ate half a mealworm last monday. I've been giving him damp cotton balls as a source of water. Last night he was still very active and kept on climbing his container that why I was surprised that he isn't moving anymore this morning. I trasferred him into an ICU just in case he is dehydrated. Do you guys think he is still alive? Or is he dead because he's been jumping around his container? I attached the picture of his container for referrence.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 110

Fleas

3 Year Member
I picture of him now would be great. That hight seems not deadly o_O. Might have gotten no water sense his last molt, cotton balls for water is way old school. I keep water bowl in all my T's enclosure

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ICUs are over rated. You sure he wasn't trying to get to the vent holes in the top? I would put holes in the sides, down near his level. And misting, or a bottle cap with water in it is how you provide water, typically. They don't drown themselves ;) Cross ventilation is very important for any species of spider, especially slings. You can use a dremel or drill with a tiny bit, and make perfect cross ventilation.

SpiderJames

3 Year Member
I picture of him now would be great. That hight seems not deadly o_O. Might have gotten no water sense his last molt, cotton balls for water is way old school. I keep water bowl in all my T's enclosure

I was afraid to put a tiny water bowl since he's still very small. Here's his picture now in ICU. He is still not moving. :(

Attachments

• P_20160514_125129_1.jpg
    P_20160514_125129_1.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 120

SpiderJames

3 Year Member
Also, what is the temp and humidity in the spiders room?[/QUOT

There are so many holes on the lid so I wasn't worried about ventilation. But yes he was putting his fangs in the holes. The first time I saw him doing that was the other night. I thought he was just being active.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was afraid to put a tiny water bowl since he's still very small. Here's his picture now in ICU. He is still not moving. :(
Well it looks bad then..he certainly looks well fed...and very young. 3i maybe? I'm guessing at scale..sometimes, the little ones just die. It happens. The best thing you can do is examine your care, and if everything was good, you did what you could. I lost a 3i not too long ago, a Xenesthis sp. white. No clue why it died. The other is thriving. Its not common, but it happens. Sorry man :(

SpiderJames

3 Year Member
Well it looks bad then..he certainly looks well fed...and very young. 3i maybe? I'm guessing at scale..sometimes, the little ones just die. It happens. The best thing you can do is examine your care, and if everything was good, you did what you could. I lost a 3i not too long ago, a Xenesthis sp. white. No clue why it died. The other is thriving. Its not common, but it happens. Sorry man :(

I've been thinking what I did wrong. I've done a lot of research since it is my first time having a Ts. He doesn't seem dehydrated too so I was surprised that he was not moving when I looked at him yesterday morning. Thanks :(

SpiderJames

3 Year Member
I tried moving him again. His arms are really light. I guess he's dead already. Tbh, I'm starting to lose hope. :'(

Attachments

• P_20160514_190437_1.jpg
    P_20160514_190437_1.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 69

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So sorry. One reason they have so many is not all of the spiderlings survive. Sometimes it's just one that wasn't meant to make it :(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Need to buy another 3 or 4 to help with the grieving. Like the others said you need cross ventilation not just holes in the top. Water dish is a must. They may not drink and if your worried about them drowning put some aquarium gravel or something in the dish they can climb on. Water dishes are mostly used to provide humidity. Ts get most of the hydration they need from their prey

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Like others have said - they sometimes just aren't meant to make it. In the wild only a small fraction of an eggsac will survive. We have them in unnatural environments, and in the process eliminate a lot of what can kill them, but some just don't make it.
I'm sorry for your loss. It still doesn't make it easier.

Latest posts