• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

Hayley

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm interested in tarantulas and have a couple of questions, particularly if there are any other Renoites on these boards.
So, I don't have a tarantula, but I'm leaning towards getting one. From what I've read they're cool, fairly low maintenance, interesting pets that are content just being there. Am I right from what I've read?
My questions are this- first off I have 3 cats. Obviously I'm not planning on introducing them, but I'm worried if my cat tries to knock over the tank, are they poisonous to cats? I know humans they just cause nasty bee-sting like bites, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable having something potentially toxic to my other pets. Any tips for particularly curious cats so both may coexhist quietly?
This might be a stupid question, but since they're labeled as exotic, are they legal in CA? I'm planning on moving there in the next year or so and need to know.
Lastly, any tips for good variety spiders in Reno? After reading a lot I want a greenbottle blue. They're so pretty! And, supposedly, a good beginner tarantula. Thanks for your help!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello Hayley and welcome aboard! You will definitely want to keep the cats and T separate! Your tarantula could become injured if it fell from a height not to mention the altercation that would happen if the cats got ahold of him!
I'm not sure about legality. I think you'll be in the clear with the popular species. Someone else may correct me on that though...

laurarfl

3 Year Member
I have a menagerie of pets. My cat is older now and not so interested in the T. I have to keep them high enough that the ferrets don't get involved though. You can keep them in the same house, just keep the T's in a room that the cat doesn't frequent, keep the enclosure secure and backed into a corner rather than on a ledge (perhaps in the corner of bookshelf, etc).

You can look up the regs at the CA wildlife dept's web site. I know CA has some tight laws concerning various animals.

Donk

3 Year Member
Legallity of keeping T`s and some species old/new world should be disclosed by the shop or seller, if they dont know and are still willing to sell to you i would avoid them.