• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Hello everyone. My name is Pearl and I had 2 wild caught T's when I lived in Oklahoma about 10 years ago and had to turn them loose when we moved back to Illinois. I am finally in a place in life where I feel I can give another T an excellent home so I ordered a G. Pulchra and am so EXCITED I can hardly contain myself. Tomorrow can't get here soon enough. I will post some pictures as soon as I get her settled in.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Pearl, welcome back to the hobby. We all know and feel that rush of anticipation when waiting for new Ts to arrive and it never gets easier.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Thank y'all for the warm welcome to the group and yes Shampain it is definitely an addiction. Lol

Here is a pic of the enclosure I have set up for her when she gets big enough for it. Since she is supposed to be less than an inch I will put her in the bowl to start off with and the light is just there to help dry out the sub some and get the humidity down. Any suggestions for the setup? Also why can't I just put her in the big cage? Why do all the materials I read say they need to go into a small space till they are over an inch? Remember my first 2 were wild caught and already over 2 inches.

Thanks a bunch
image.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When they're small they would have problems finding and catching their food in a big enclosure plus you'd have difficulties finding your T with so much space to hid in. It's much better for everyone to keep them in small containers.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Hi Pearl and welcome. The bowl is perfect for it at this size. They are strong eaters but do not have a fast growth rate. Worth the wait, though. Because he/she will be little for a while, maybe use a clear deli cup so you can see her and watch her tunnel as well?

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Hi Pearl and welcome. The bowl is perfect for it at this size. They are strong eaters but do not have a fast growth rate. Worth the wait, though. Because he/she will be little for a while, maybe use a clear deli cup so you can see her and watch her tunnel as well?

Thank you. The side is clear on the bowl. I have been on the hunt for a clear lid to fit it but haven't had much luck. I have asked everywhere around here about the deli cups but either they don't have them or won't give them up. I live in a small town so I may be stuck with this one.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you. The side is clear on the bowl. I have been on the hunt for a clear lid to fit it but haven't had much luck. I have asked everywhere around here about the deli cups but either they don't have them or won't give them up. I live in a small town so I may be stuck with this one.

As long as you can see through the sides you'll be able to watch it.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Ok my sling finally showed up a half hour late but alive and well. She is walking around with her abdomen straight up in the air. Is this normal or could my substrate be too moist?

Also how long should I wait to feed. I've seen a week on some info and 24 hours on others. What do y'all suggest?

Thanks a bunch

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She's telling you to leave her alone. I feed mine within the first 24 hours usually, I feel it helps them settle in but I know some like to leave it longer.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Lucky for me she came in a clear deli cup so I just put some substrate in it and moved her over today. I got to watch her attack and kill the pinhead today. When I fed her on the first day I couldn't see very well and missed the whole event. She takes her sweet time running from it at first then she puts her but in the air and raises up her front legs and makes herself look 10 times bigger and then does this funny walk and finally crouches down and stocks it and finally attacks. She is so cute to watch. I got an up close pic today when I moved her to the deli cup.
IMG_0775.JPG

Redacted

3 Year Member
Butt's up because she thinks it's a danger. Butt goes down and she stalks when she realizes SHE'S the danger and is hungry!!!!!! Ain't nature grand?

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
My wild caught T's would just pounce and eat. I have to say I like this little ritual better. It is much more entertaining I've only had this one 3 days but I am already in love and looking for my next T. I don't care if it's too soon. Lol

Redacted

3 Year Member
My wild caught T's would just pounce and eat. I have to say I like this little ritual better. It is much more entertaining I've only had this one 3 days but I am already in love and looking for my next T. I don't care if it's too soon. Lol
Who says anything about too soon. For you and the T, do homework and get the one you like!

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
image.jpg
Ok so I saw this T in the back of "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" and am in love but I can't figure out what it is. I thought it was a baby A. Versicolor but they have different marks. Anyone have any idea what it is? Thanks

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Haha it's never too soon :) If you're open to suggestion then an A.Genic is one of the most loved Ts there is and I'm sure most here would agree :)

Would that be The Brazilian Giant White Knee? I just looked it up they are beautiful. I am really into the ones that get really big. Thank u so much for the suggestion. That may b my next T. I think I'm in love

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
View attachment 21222 Ok so I saw this T in the back of "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" and am in love but I can't figure out what it is. I thought it was a baby A. Versicolor but they have different marks. Anyone have any idea what it is? Thanks
IMHO, it really is an Avicularia versicolor sling. Their look change with almost every molt; this is maybe why you have the impression the marks were different of the one you saw...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Latest posts