• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

McFryin

3 Year Member
Hey everyone! I've been interested in tarantulas since I was a little kid (I'm 30), and tonight I purchased a Mexican Red Knee for my wife for our 1st anniversary. This will be the first spider either of us has ever kept.

I purchased this very tiny, fragile looking little dude at Petco where I live. It came in a small plastic container that is roughly a 2x2 inch square about 5 inches tall. It has a fake leaf in it and the bottom is a gray sponge. The container has a sticker on it that says, " Keep 77-85 degrees. Keep 50-60% humidity. Feed 3-5 crickets weekly. Mist 2-3 times weekly".

I was planning on putting him in a 8x8x8 exoterra nano glass aquarium with the door in the front (which I wouldn't use) and the mesh lid on the top. My first question here is this,
Is that 8x8x8 too big for this little dude? I mean I don't want to have him be freaked out all the time and not eat (I am determined to keep this guy alive and more than content) because the cage is too big.I just know he is not happy in the container he came in.

McFryin

3 Year Member
Awesome! Thanks for the pointers guys!

Today after work I ended up making a new enclosure for him (or her). I used a small container that cricket quencher came in. Punched holes around the the top. Also turns out that the lid from the container he came in also fits the new container, so that's great. I used coconut fiber as the substrate and also a soda bottle cap for a drinking bowl per LC72uk's suggestion.

And yes Shampain, I've already been thinking about getting some more lol!

Here is the new habitat that I "constructed".
https://goo.gl/photos/Akpny8ooMBmAYGRR6
https://goo.gl/photos/72tmnwApWfVYbU4d8

Here is my T.
https://goo.gl/photos/cYX9KJbv4TgAuUw98

syzygy

3 Year Member
I've never provided water dishes for T's this small, but I know that I'm in the minority on that point. For those that do I'm curious if this is really the size typically used for a T this small.

I'd be tempted to put some small rocks in the dish so the water level isn't deeper than he is tall. I've been know to overthink details like this and it might be fine as is...I'd just hate to see the little guy drown.

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I even give my teeniest babies something to drink from. Even a deep plastic leaf works. Water bottle cap, a single Lego brick, ink pot containers, the little candle holders for birthday cakes. I'm considering buying doll house dishes in a cheap mixed lot off eBay for the littlest guys. I feel better if they have water, plus there are days I'm either at hospital or to ill to move so I know they are OK that way.
I've seen even my so called dry species get a drink.

Last edited:

Latest posts