• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, tarantula lovers

Marija

3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
My name is Marija and I'm from Croatia, Osijek. I've been searching for a good forum to read and share some experiences and stumbled upon this one :)

I'm new at this hobby, a little over a month. My first T is L parahybana, a 6 inch female that I named Phobia. She was a birthday present from a good friend of mine and I love her so much :).
Not long after I got her I decided to get another one. Since I'm a beginner and want a docile species that I can handle from time to time but I love colorful tarantulas I decided to get G pulchripes. Still not sure about pulchripes sex (leaning to female) so a few name suggestions would be great :D. Pulchripes is currently in premolt that is lasting really long and I think I'm gonna die waiting :D.

Here are some pictures of my lovely Ts.

IMG_2307.JPG IMG_2311.JPG IMG_2318.JPG IMG_2343.jpg IMG_2296.JPG IMG_2306.JPG 14322292_1122967331113786_7342402531709144756_n.jpg 14344331_1118047758272410_825170692739200395_n.jpg 14522687_1133383016738884_4072605025712164049_n.jpg 14556602_1136747809735738_2954759372126731510_o.jpg 14606333_1136741699736349_1783569428014594837_n.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello Marija, welcome to the hobby. You have 2 lovely Ts and I'm sure you'll soon have more.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the boards!
Glad to have you here, lots of good folks here.

Love the name Phobia, it's awesome. In keeping with that theme perhaps Mania,
Would work.

Marija

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the boards!
Glad to have you here, lots of good folks here.

Love the name Phobia, it's awesome. In keeping with that theme perhaps Mania,
Would work.
Thank you! I like Mania a lot, thanks for the suggestion. My fiance likes the PS4 game Destiny a lot so one of the names that came to mind was Eris Morn from the game. If it's a male I was thinking Lucifer.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
My name is Marija and I'm from Croatia, Osijek. I've been searching for a good forum to read and share some experiences and stumbled upon this one :)

I'm new at this hobby, a little over a month. My first T is L parahybana, a 6 inch female that I named Phobia. She was a birthday present from a good friend of mine and I love her so much :).
Not long after I got her I decided to get another one. Since I'm a beginner and want a docile species that I can handle from time to time but I love colorful tarantulas I decided to get G pulchripes. Still not sure about pulchripes sex (leaning to female) so a few name suggestions would be great :D. Pulchripes is currently in premolt that is lasting really long and I think I'm gonna die waiting :D.

Here are some pictures of my lovely Ts.

View attachment 19766 View attachment 19767 View attachment 19768 View attachment 19769 View attachment 19770 View attachment 19771 View attachment 19772 View attachment 19773 View attachment 19774 View attachment 19775 View attachment 19776
Hello and welcome to the forum. So glad you stumbled upon us, as hands down, the best T forum out there (in my opinion anyway). I have yet to see any negativity and all the members are welcoming and we love to see what spiders people have. Can't really help with a name for the pulchripes. Go with your heart. It will come to you ☺ Please feel free to ask any and loads of questions. We were all new to hobby at some point (20+ years in my case.....lol) so we know how nervous it can be to make that firstt post. I have been on hear just under a year now. Love it, spend my spare time thst I can on it and the people are awesome. Learned more in one year than I did the previous 20......lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks! I was thinking maybe an arboreal one for my next :) but I'm not sure which one is best for a beginner.
Not arboreal but certainly hits the "colourful" criteria, I would give the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Green Bottle Blue (GBB) a try. Usually a decent species for a beginner and they are stunning to look and hesvy webbers that I lkke to see, if you get a sling, they go through many colour transformations too. What's not to love about that ☺

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not arboreal but certainly hits the "colourful" criteria, I would give the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - Green Bottle Blue (GBB) a try. Usually a decent species for a beginner and they are stunning to look and hesvy webbers that I lkke to see, if you get a sling, they go through many colour transformations too. What's not to love about that ☺
(-whispers softly- they're not a genic):rolleyes:

Marija

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum. So glad you stumbled upon us, as hands down, the best T forum out there (in my opinion anyway). I have yet to see any negativity and all the members are welcoming and we love to see what spiders people have. Can't really help with a name for the pulchripes. Go with your heart. It will come to you ☺ Please feel free to ask any and loads of questions. We were all new to hobby at some point (20+ years in my case.....lol) so we know how nervous it can be to make that firstt post. I have been on hear just under a year now. Love it, spend my spare time thst I can on it and the people are awesome. Learned more in one year than I did the previous 20......lol
Thanks so much for a warm welcome :)
I hope to learn much here! Sad to say there are no good forums in Croatia, and if there are one the people are kind of full of themselves and not so willing to give advice (in my experience)...
Well, about naming the pulchripes I was thinking Eris Morn for female and Lucifer for male. I try to give them cool and powerfull names but it's kind of hard when they are sooo cute :)

Marija

3 Year Member
Yeah, GBB is stunning. What is your opinion on M balfouri? Are they as crazy as OBT or less? :D

Marija

3 Year Member
Yes....ssshhhhh, our little secret;). Can't believe I missed mentioning the genic actually! My bad. Genie will be Sooooo annoyed with me now...lol
Maybe it's my bad english but what does "not a genic" mean if I may ask? Sorry if it's a dumb question :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Maybe it's my bad english but what does "not a genic" mean if I may ask? Sorry if it's a dumb question :D

It's a bit of a forum joke as there are a lot of people here who adore the Acanthoscurria geniculata, commonly known simply a genic. I might add that inclues me as I have finally bought one.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, GBB is stunning. What is your opinion on M balfouri? Are they as crazy as OBT or less? :D
In my experience, much less. I have 4x slings balfouri and a sub-adult. They are like pet holes (hide a lot), nowhere near as defensive/aggressive as an OBT. None of mine are anyway. I also have an OBT and that is just mental even though just over an inch long. All baboon spiders can be defensive and not normally for the beginner or faint hearted.....lol. I was also reminded by @Kymura that I did not mention the Geniculata earlier. A large species that is a very good dispatched tarantula. ,usually just sits right in the middle of thr tank without a care in the world. My Geniculata (Genie) is my avatar, out of my 64 (and counting) probably my gave T and is now knocking on the door of nearly 8 inches total leg span. Stunning contrast with the black and white markings and certainly in UK and across Europe, cheap as chips at the moment.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a bit of a forum joke as there are a lot of people here who adore the Acanthoscurria geniculata, commonly known simply a genic. I might add that inclues me as I have finally bought one.
Ha ha.....just read this after my last post saying the same thing. Genics rule ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Enn49 has also replied but Genic is what most of us refer to for the Acanthoscurria geniculata - Giant white knee tarantula. My big girl is called Genie which is a play on he geniculata name.Not a dumb question or bad english at all, our fault for using abbreviations. ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks so much for a warm welcome :)
I hope to learn much here! Sad to say there are no good forums in Croatia, and if there are one the people are kind of full of themselves and not so willing to give advice (in my experience)...
Well, about naming the pulchripes I was thinking Eris Morn for female and Lucifer for male. I try to give them cool and powerfull names but it's kind of hard when they are sooo cute :)
I suppose you get the good and the bad with the "web" (pardon the pun). If they can't recall that they too were new at some point and wanted to learn from others then they are probably a tosser in whatever walk of life they are in (apologies for being crude). Makes my blood boil when people stop being helpful. I can shout out at least 10 people on here who would never dream of being like that despite a cumulative total of probably hundreds of yesrs in the hobby. ....lol

Latest posts