• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Scotland. Please help

Rosscfc92

3 Year Member
I have just acquired a 9 year old female chilean rose who has never been handled. She is reluctant to climb on my hand and is very defensive when i try to pick her up.
Any advice on how to get her accustomed to being touched without scaring her? Thanks

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum Ross.
Most of us will advise against handling as it stresses them too much and there is always a risk of them Jumping or falling of you and injuring themselves or worse, a fall of just a few inches can kill them. if you really must handle her wait until she has settled into her new home and you may find she will walk onto your hand. I'd recommend holding her over a soft item like a bed or armchair and always have a catch cup to hand in case she makes a run for it.

Sazzy

3 Year Member
I must agree with the above...despite the fact that rosies are often marketed as easy-to-handle and good "beginner" spiders, I have often seen this not be the case. ESPECIALLY with older spiders. I would hesitate to force the spider into handling. Trust me, I empathize with the fascination, but know that the spider does NOT! I encourage that you enjoy your pet in the habitat, and clean the enclosure with care of course when necessary.

Arnel Pahuriray

3 Year Member
I have just acquired a 9 year old female chilean rose who has never been handled. She is reluctant to climb on my hand and is very defensive when i try to pick her up.
Any advice on how to get her accustomed to being touched without scaring her? Thanks
wear a glove and see will respond handling, you're tarantula.

Arnel Pahuriray

3 Year Member
use a garden glove so that if female rosa T. try to bit you,". you have the glove ?

Arnel Pahuriray

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum Ross.
Most of us will advise against handling as it stresses them too much and there is always a risk of them Jumping or falling of you and injuring themselves or worse, a fall of just a few inches can kill them. if you really must handle her wait until she has settled into her new home and you may find she will walk onto your hand. I'd recommend holding her over a soft item like a bed or armchair and always have a catch cup to hand in case she makes a run for it.
does are the bamboo tarantula becareful, with that thing. it from Africa spiders.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, as said in the post above, allow some time to settle in before trying to handle her, and rosies aren't always as docile as lead to believe, mine never tolerated me so I just left her alone. If you want a good handling T get a b.albopilosum, they're affordable, easy to care for and are pretty well mannered when it comes to being handled.

canwest2

3 Year Member
Welcome to Group dear.

Maximum people will endorse in opposition to dealing with as it stresses them an excessive amount of and there is continually a threat of them jumping or falling of you and injuring themselves or worse, a fall of just a few inches can kill them. If you clearly must deal with her wait until she has settled into her new domestic and you can find she will be able to walk onto your hand. I might suggest maintaining her over a gentle object like a mattress or armchair and usually have a trap cup handy in case she makes a run for it.

iphone repair estevan

Arnel Pahuriray

3 Year Member
Welcome to Group dear.

Maximum people will endorse in opposition to dealing with as it stresses them an excessive amount of and there is continually a threat of them jumping or falling of you and injuring themselves or worse, a fall of just a few inches can kill them. If you clearly must deal with her wait until she has settled into her new domestic and you can find she will be able to walk onto your hand. I might suggest maintaining her over a gentle object like a mattress or armchair and usually have a trap cup handy in case she makes a run for it.

iphone repair estevan
I agree what you said.