• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hello from NC

sirenity

3 Year Member
Hi Im new into the hobby by accident. I take unwanted pets rehome them and I was given two rose hairs and one unknown so far. I decided to keep them my new favorite pets now. Looking to build.

timc

3 Year Member
Welcome to the hobby and the forum! And great work finding animals homes. I have tons of respect for people who go out of their way to pursue such a compassionate endeavor.

sirenity

3 Year Member
Welcome to the hobby and the forum! And great work finding animals homes. I have tons of respect for people who go out of their way to pursue such a compassionate endeavor.
Oh yes I agree sadly in my area their arent many who do animal rescue its so bad around here that 2 of the local animal shelters have been taken over and shut down due to abuse.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always seen tarantulas and other invertebrates as "display animals", much like fish. I hope I don't seem like I'm nitpicking here, but when people call them pets it sort of irks me a bit [emoji14]

sirenity

3 Year Member
I've always seen tarantulas and other invertebrates as "display animals", much like fish. I hope I don't seem like I'm nitpicking here, but when people call them pets it sort of irks me a bit [emoji14]
LOL I think most people are like that. I see mine as pets and spoil them. They all have names and luxurious living spaces. I also interact with them almost daily. My rosehair glitter even comes on command of a whistle she will walk to you and get on your hand.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
LOL I think most people are like that. I see mine as pets and spoil them. They all have names and luxurious lives spaces. I also interact with them almost daily. My rosehair glitter even comes on command of a whistle she will walk to you and get on your hand.
You are joking about that last part right? Please tell me you are. Tarantulas don't even have ears. They're also primitive animals that operate on instinct, very different from dogs or cats.

Well remember that handling does not benefit the spider in any way. Some individuals may TOLERATE it, that doesn't mean they ENJOY it. It is also hazardous for the spider. As you spend more time in the hobby you may notice that many keepers frown upon handling.

sirenity

3 Year Member
You are joking about that last part right? Please tell me you are. Tarantulas don't even have ears. They're also primitive animals that operate on instinct, very different from dogs or cats.

Well remember that handling does not benefit the spider in any way. Some individuals may TOLERATE it, that doesn't mean they ENJOY it. It is also hazardous for the spider. As you spend more time in the hobby you may notice that many keepers frown upon handling.
LOL of course haha though not they might not hear how we do but they certainly feel vibrations. I know nothing obsessive. Glitter the rose hair is the main one I handle Ive had him for close to a year never bitten or flick hairs at me but has bitten two of my friends who tried to hold him.. Elmer the rosehair hates it so I dont bother him. Alot of people think they are all the same grouchy spiders but they do all really have their own personalities. Glitter will step on my hand when i hold it down.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
LOL of course haha though not they might not hear how we do but they certainly feel vibrations. I know nothing obsessive. Glitter the rose hair is the main one I handle Ive had him for close to a year never bitten or flick hairs at me but has bitten two of my friends who tried to hold him.. Elmer the rosehair hates it so I dont bother him. Alot of people think they are all the same grouchy spiders but they do all really have their own personalities. Glitter will step on my hand when i hold it down.
Well that's because it's something to walk on [emoji14]

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
maybe, you dont believe in tarantula bonding? lol I seem to find alot of people arguing over it
I don't. Like I've said before they are very primitive creatures that operate under very basic instinct. They don't bond with their owners the way dogs and cats do. They have no use for it. Like I said, there's a difference between a tarantula being tolerant of handling vs actually liking it.

sirenity

3 Year Member
I don't. Like I've said before they are very primitive creatures that operate under very basic instinct. They don't bond with their owners the way dogs and cats do. They have no use for it. Like I said, there's a difference between a tarantula being tolerant of handling vs actually liking it.
I think they are a little smarter then people give them credit for. Either way like them better then people.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a debate I try to avoid getting into, because there's really no definitive answer or way to prove how smart they are. It helps to really understand the anatomy of a tarantula when making claims regarding their intelligence. That's more of just a general statement by the way nothing personal ;) However, I still have seen no evidence that proves they enjoy human interaction. I noticed that a lot of people making these claims are noobs who have mainly worked with slow-moving docile new world terrestrials. These species normally tend to be a bit easier to predict and manipulate. Most old world species and some of the more high-strung New Worlds have a simple "fight or flight response" in which case they're either going to bolt in a random direction or react defensively when faced with danger.

sirenity

3 Year Member
That's a debate I try to avoid getting into, because there's really no definitive answer or way to prove how smart they are. It helps to really understand the anatomy of a tarantula when making claims regarding their intelligence. That's more of just a general statement by the way nothing personal ;) However, I still have seen no evidence that proves they enjoy human interaction. I noticed that a lot of people making these claims are noobs who have mainly worked with slow-moving docile new world terrestrials. These species normally tend to be a bit easier to predict and manipulate. Most old world species and some of the more high-strung New Worlds have a simple "fight or flight response" in which case they're either going to bolt in a random direction or react defensively when faced with danger.
LOL I know all about the noobs Ive taken alot of Ts from them and rehomed them. One person wanted to rehome because she said she didnt know they bite...Another had a Goliath who was taken to jail got out set the house on fire the T died 4 days after I got him. Another was a psych patient who said she could speak to their souls and mated with them i was given 6 from here all in horrible condition. there are some crazy people out there

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
LOL I know all about the noobs Ive taken alot of Ts from them and rehomed them. One person wanted to rehome because she said she didnt know they bite...Another had a Goliath who was taken to jail got out set the house on fire the T died 4 days after I got him. Another was a psych patient who said she could speak to their souls and mated with them i was given 6 from here all in horrible condition. there are some crazy people out there
That's pretty crazy lol but I guess not that surprising when you look at some of the people we share this planet with.

I once had a guy tell me he handled his H.maculata and S.calceatum on a regular basis and he would sing to them very softly to prevent them from biting him. He then proceeded to tell me that he'd been bitten "Only 18 times." Sad really when you've had people in the hobby for 40 years and never once been bitten.

bookac

3 Year Member

Even the cats are not bonding like the dogs are :D

And welcome to the forum :)