• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Florida!

Saberfal

3 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and all that good stuff. So I'm Saberfal, and I'm a T addict.

I was heavily vested into the saltwater reef hobby and plan on getting back into it at a later date (amazing hobby, definitely give it a look).

After getting out of that hobby, I was kind of lost for a while. I wanted to have some kind of critter, but wanted it to be pretty cheap to get into and enjoy. Tarantula videos kept popping up on youtube, and after doing tons of reading I decided it was the way to go.

Right now my collection is really small. I have a Grammostola rosea, and a Brachypelma albopilosum. I got the rose from Jamie's, and the curly from petco (it happened to be the only species they had).

While they are incredibly interesting, they are also quite boring. In fact I haven't seen the curly at all as all it does is burrow. Both have molted just fine in about the 2 months that I've had them.

I tend to dive right in when I choose a hobby and this one is no different. From the species that I know I want soon, I just had to fall in love with some of the more notorious species. So as of right now these are the T's I'm looking to get next.

Heteroscodra maculata
Avicularia purpurea
Psalmopoeus irminia

There are a few others I would also like to get, but these are my big "must have" T's.
I'm aware they do get big, fast as lightning, agressive, and pack a mean bite I want no part of. I'd like to say that I appreciate any words of caution, but I'm confident I can provide great husbandry for theses T's and also remain safe while doing so.

I would be interested in buying slings of these species and just hearing about your experiences with them too!

Telson

3 Year Member
Howdy Saberfal, welcome to the forum. Compared to fish, a very active pet, I could see how tarantulas would be boring :) Mostly they all just sit and be tarantulas :D If you think your first two are boring, wait til the H mac and the irminia build their web hides and you never see them again..hahaha. Muhaahaahaaaaha. Sorry. I recommend any of the South American giants. Far less boring. Phormictopus, Lasiodora, Pamphobeteus, maybe a G pulchra or pulchripes..any of the big ones are a little more impressive to look at, even when they're just sitting there. Most spiders aren't very active. Hope this helps. Cheers :)

Saberfal

3 Year Member
Oh no, that's fine lol. I'm sure there's other species out there that just haven't caught my eye yet. As for reef keeping, I really didn't have a lot of fish. I was mostly into growing stony polyp corals. Which are akin to Ts by not doing much for years. And from what I've seen I like many of the expensive Ts.... go figure lol.

Telson

3 Year Member
Oh no, that's fine lol. I'm sure there's other species out there that just haven't caught my eye yet. As for reef keeping, I really didn't have a lot of fish. I was mostly into growing stony polyp corals. Which are akin to Ts by not doing much for years. And from what I've seen I like many of the expensive Ts.... go figure lol.
Oh..I just assumed there were fish..so, uh, yeah, watching rocks grow is comparable, lol. I thought you had like the whole thing going on, with fish and eels and sharks and dead banana boat people ..nvm..but yeah there's a whole lot of spiders to choose from. Comes down to personal choice. I love the paint job on H Macs but they're known hiders, which I tend to shy away from. Lots of people don't mind them though. Weirdos, mostly. I'm kidding. Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Saberfal

3 Year Member
If anything I think I have a few more Ts for my list lol. I did have some fish, and even experimented with largely just fish as well. For me I really enjoyed the challenge of growing sps. They're somewhat difficult to acquire and demand pristine conditions. So being able to accomplish the husbandry involved and then seeing the result is just awesome to me.

I believe P. Irminia is also known for being a master hider as well, a good bit of the time at least. I am sitting on a 20g high tank I want to transform to house a T. It would be really simple to make a terrestial setup..... On a side I wish I could setup live vivariums for critters as a living, God it's the best. Once I get something going I'll be sure to post pics.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and all that good stuff. So I'm Saberfal, and I'm a T addict.

I was heavily vested into the saltwater reef hobby and plan on getting back into it at a later date (amazing hobby, definitely give it a look).

After getting out of that hobby, I was kind of lost for a while. I wanted to have some kind of critter, but wanted it to be pretty cheap to get into and enjoy. Tarantula videos kept popping up on youtube, and after doing tons of reading I decided it was the way to go.

Right now my collection is really small. I have a Grammostola rosea, and a Brachypelma albopilosum. I got the rose from Jamie's, and the curly from petco (it happened to be the only species they had).

While they are incredibly interesting, they are also quite boring. In fact I haven't seen the curly at all as all it does is burrow. Both have molted just fine in about the 2 months that I've had them.

I tend to dive right in when I choose a hobby and this one is no different. From the species that I know I want soon, I just had to fall in love with some of the more notorious species. So as of right now these are the T's I'm looking to get next.

Heteroscodra maculata
Avicularia purpurea
Psalmopoeus irminia

There are a few others I would also like to get, but these are my big "must have" T's.
I'm aware they do get big, fast as lightning, agressive, and pack a mean bite I want no part of. I'd like to say that I appreciate any words of caution, but I'm confident I can provide great husbandry for theses T's and also remain safe while doing so.

I would be interested in buying slings of these species and just hearing about your experiences with them too!
Welcome to the group. You will love it here as members really friendly and knowledgeable. Nice start to your collection there. May I also throw into the mix 2 of my faves.
1. The GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens). Fantastic colours, if you get as sling as well they go through many colour changes before the adult colours appear. Heavy webbers which I fingers totally fascinating and are usually pretty good as a "starter" T, although one of the three that I have had over the years was a bit of a bad ass and frequently went into pose threat for no reason ar all....lol
2. Giant White Knee (Acanthoscurria geniculata). A big spider that likes to just sit right in the middle of the tank without a care in the world. Mine is nearly 8 inches DLS (Diaganol Leg Span). She is awesome.
I know I said 2 but the Brachypelmas (smithi, amelia, boheimi) all have very nice red patterns to their legs/knees depending on the type and again are usually good display Ts. Check out my photo link at the bottom of my post and you can see mine for all those mentioned (and more)
Like you, I have also done the fresh and salt water fish thing. Only fish tank I have atm is built into my living room wall.....ha ha.
Tarantula, s are my addiction though and have kept them for well over 20 years now.

Saberfal

3 Year Member
Yeah the only fish tank I have right now is a small 1g tank for a designer shrimp. Was quite the challenge to do a natural scape in that size, but it's beautiful. Awesome albums you have there and quite a sizable collection at that!

I should be picking up a new T next week.... I just don't which I'm going to with atm. I'm stuck with a pretty crappy job atm, so I don't have the play money I used to lol. Other wise I think I'd have a closet full of Ts already.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Same as what @Phil and @Telson have said. Chromatopelma are really excellent: active, beautiful, all that you could expect from a T! But as Telson said, Ts are either hidden or pet rocks... Trying a big and bold South American giants could be a good idea. Idem with having slings: they are more active, and watching them grow is exciting. The more you have Ts, the more you'll see things happening (molts, growths, feedings, etc.). Which means: take a lot of them!!! And welcome to the addiction!

About Heteroscodra or Psalmopoeus, I have both since years. Younger, my Heteroscodra was always hidden. Now she's a big girl, she happens to be more visible. For my irminia, it all depends: sometimes she's out in the open, but most of the times she's hidden. They are very fast and unpredictable.

Money is an issue, though. If you take little slings, it'll be cheaper (at least the sling, maybe not the food and maintenance...).

Anyway, keep us informed of what you decided and don't hesitate to ask questions!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah the only fish tank I have right now is a small 1g tank for a designer shrimp. Was quite the challenge to do a natural scape in that size, but it's beautiful. Awesome albums you have there and quite a sizable collection at that!

I should be picking up a new T next week.... I just don't which I'm going to with atm. I'm stuck with a pretty crappy job atm, so I don't have the play money I used to lol. Other wise I think I'd have a closet full of Ts already.
Thanks. They are all interesting in heir own way. Genie (the big geniculata) is my fave......shhhh, don't let the others hear that though) Good luck with your next choice, my head still spins with the others I want to add to my collection.....☺

Saberfal

3 Year Member
Right now it's between fearnottarantulas and spiders-n-inverts. Both seem to have fair pricing. for whatever reason, I've always disliked the fact of being forced into overnight shipping, especially when the costs is more for the shipping than what I'm actually paying for.

Fearnottarantulas: $45 shipping Spiders-n-inverts $15 shipping
P. irminia $12 H. Maculata $25
H. Maculata $26 (possible obt $15... nothing else really caught my fancy, in my price range)

It is summer in Florida and the temp is about in the 90's F already. So the overnight option I may have to suck up here. I know a cold pack would work, but not sure if they would be effective over a 2-3 day span. So tough coin to flip between being frugal and making sure my specimens arrive alive. I've had live critters delivered before and none made it during the summer months.

I'd much rather find someone in my area, but between petco and an exotic shop that only stocks one or 2 Ts (also notoriously overpriced). So my local option is pretty limited, unless I wait until repticon in OCt, or drive to Orlando and maybe find something out that way.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Right now it's between fearnottarantulas and spiders-n-inverts. Both seem to have fair pricing. for whatever reason, I've always disliked the fact of being forced into overnight shipping, especially when the costs is more for the shipping than what I'm actually paying for.

Fearnottarantulas: $45 shipping Spiders-n-inverts $15 shipping
P. irminia $12 H. Maculata $25
H. Maculata $26 (possible obt $15... nothing else really caught my fancy, in my price range)

It is summer in Florida and the temp is about in the 90's F already. So the overnight option I may have to suck up here. I know a cold pack would work, but not sure if they would be effective over a 2-3 day span. So tough coin to flip between being frugal and making sure my specimens arrive alive. I've had live critters delivered before and none made it during the summer months.

I'd much rather find someone in my area, but between petco and an exotic shop that only stocks one or 2 Ts (also notoriously overpriced). So my local option is pretty limited, unless I wait until repticon in OCt, or drive to Orlando and maybe find something out that way.
Super super jealous of those temps. It is about 17 degrees Celsius and pouring down in the UK so no need for a cool pack. The OBTs are usually highly aggressive but tend to spend most of their time buried in deep substrate and loads of web. Just in case you didn't know. ☺

Latest posts