• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello folks

tapkoote

3 Year Member
At the beginning, I was looking into the colorations of tarantulas for some yard art. The more I read and watched I was hooked. Brought "Anastasia" home from the pet shop early August. "She's" 3 3/4 inch
B smithi, and about ready to molt. And yes I'm nervous. I hope she makes it through, and is still Ana not Andy. I'll have a question later.
As for me, I'm retired and one of my hobbies is watching/taping nature. I've got two geese, a bee hive and gold fish in the front yard. I feed humming birds and the garden spiders that home on my windows. I m a refugee from a forum who's rules are very strict, I was basicaly told to shut up and sit down. I'm trying to set up Anas own utube channel, most of my other vids are mechanical stuff, I'll link it here if you like.
Now my question- she had her last meal Dec 6th/two crickets. As far as I can tell, her last drink Dec 8th. Her abdomen was swollen like a tick ready to pop. It's now Jan 14, the abdomen is smaller than when I brought her home. Am I guessing right, she's ready to head to her mat and flip over?
I'd like to catch that on film if I can.
Thanks for any replies, I wont be introducing any new ideas here.
Pat

Attachments

• 8-6-16.jpg
    8-6-16.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Hello Pat! Welcome here, you'll find mostly very friendly and open minded people. Dont' hesitate to ask, share, experiment.

About your smithi: they don't eat so often. Yours could be in premolt... or not yet. The abdomen looks fine to me. When was it last time you tried to give her some food? If it was weeks ago, try again, wait for 24 hours then take the food away if not eaten.

When your T has molt, keep the molt and post a picture of the inside area between the book lungs, and we'll tell you if she's a female or male. To unfold it, you can put it in some water with a drop of soap.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Pat, welcome to the forum. That first moult is always nerve wracking but don't worry Ts know what to do.:)

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Beautiful T you've got there :) I would say as long as you have a small dish of fresh water available and offer crickets every week or two you're fine. She is probably drinking when you're not looking. I've always wanted to set up a camera on one of my enclosures to keep an eye on what they do throughout the day and possibly catch a molt, do you have extra recording equipment?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place for advice from great people! But be warned.. tarantulas are insanely addictive and I would be safe to say this wont be your last tarantula :)

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Welcome to the group. U have a beautiful girl there. Don't worry about being too outspoken or having too fresh of an idea here. I have yet to run across anyone that is closed minded here. This really is a wonderful group. I personally like to hear new ideas and would love to see Anastasia's channel.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Beautiful T you've got there :) I would say as long as you have a small dish of fresh water available and offer crickets every week or two you're fine. She is probably drinking when you're not looking. I've always wanted to set up a camera on one of my enclosures to keep an eye on what they do throughout the day and possibly catch a molt, do you have extra recording equipment?
If you mean do I have any cameras laying around, I'm sorry no.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Welcome to the group. U have a beautiful girl there. Don't worry about being too outspoken or having too fresh of an idea here. I have yet to run across anyone that is closed minded here. This really is a wonderful group. I personally like to hear new ideas and would love to see Anastasia's channel.
I'm not really out spoken, but will stick up for what I think.
Annas chanel is done, I'll post a thread with the link.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
and its always great to find a community who understands why you keep tarantulas.. outside of fellow enthusiasts we come off as strange individuals