• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating

Smugleaf

3 Year Member
Hello!

I have a young Honduran Curly Hair, and I live in Boston. My apartment isn't the most well insulated place in the world, so I'm thinking about heating methods in advance before our expectedly harsh winter.

Currently, Larry (spiderling), is still fairly small, and lives in a 1 quart deli cup. Would my best option be a ceramic heater from a distance? I have found lower wattage ceramic heaters (40w), should I get a ceramic infrared heater with a ceramic based clamp lamp to handle the heat?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any small safe space heater will work. I have central heat and air in central Alabama and still use one in my bedroom for the T's. Born and raised in WestSpringfield so I well remember the weather up there. :p
Put Larry in a smaller room and heat just that room so your both comfortable.
Bathroom or bedroom maybe?

Smugleaf

3 Year Member
Thanks for your reply!

The largest issues with this are: 1. I have roommates who are aggressive and won't allow me to run a heater all hours of the day and 2. I have a cat, so my door stays open for her to come and go thru the day.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ah. There's a thread on another forum about using a tank and an aquarium heater. That way your heating just the tank. Much cheaper as well. Let me see if I can find it sometime today. I'm mobile at the moment so may take me a while. :p seems viable for your situation though.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If the room is comfy for you in a t-shirt the spider would be fine. If you're using a space heater be diligent on keeping the water dish full in the spider's home. Space heaters dry out the air a lot.

Latest posts