• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Have a question about one of my four legged babies...

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
So I am in some need of help with my 9 month old female purebred Yellow Lab named Belle. She is such a great girl with a winning personality and is incredible smart, weighing at 73.5lbs she is a big girl. I have had her since 8 weeks old and she is housetrained, and knows basic obedience like sit, stay, down, leave it, take it, come, and paw. She is also trained in retrieving bumpers and dead birds when I go hunting. Now the problem is...she only listen when she wants too, she is very good at tuning me or anyone else out. She can be extremely stubborn too. I have a female 8 1/2 year old Golden Mix named Rosie, and Belle constantly is knocking her down, jumping on her, ramming into her, sometimes Rosie will yipe and shake when this happens and as much as I say no or correct her but putting her on a leash or removing her from the situation, she's back at it 5-10 mins later. She also has been chasing my 4 year old DSH cat non stop!!!!! There are times that she will lick the cat and try and play with her but other times she will bite her not to a point where she draws blood but my cat will meow in pain, and Belle will growl at her, sometimes if I try to pull her off, she is so strong she pulls against me. I will be getting her spayed in September, and she is not in heat at all. I have been working with dogs since I was young, have always had dogs, and worked in a shelter training dogs to be adopted. I have tried many many many techniques and nothing seems to be working. :confused: I don't like scolding her over and over again, and I don't like my other animals getting hurt or irradiated. If anyone has any suggestions please I am all ears. Thank you!

khatchet

3 Year Member
there is a dog spray called stop that is it 12 doller a bottel but get it and use it for dissaplain. after a while even if the bottel is empty and they see you have it and tell them no they will stop.

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
there is a dog spray called stop that is it 12 doller a bottel but get it and use it for dissaplain. after a while even if the bottel is empty and they see you have it and tell them no they will stop.
See I tried that with a squirt bottle, and she bites at the liquid that comes out and she ends up making a game out of it.. :(
If I scold her in anyway she puts her butt up in the air with her front paws and legs on the ground like in a playful position. She takes discipline in a playful way. And I have never had a dog do that before towards me. She will wag her tail, run from me, like she wants me to chase her. I am running out of ideas to counteract this behavior.

khatchet

3 Year Member
The spray makes a loud nosie is why it works it is diffent then just a water spray. Sorry for taking so long to repile i have been very busy

khatchet

3 Year Member
yeah or tap her on the nosie when she is bad. I hate to do it but its the only thing that will work with my moxy

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
See I do that too and she thinks its a game, or its play. This dog does not understand her place in this household and she disobeys a lot. There isnt a day that does by that I have to put her in her kennel for rough housing or playing to rough with my other dog, or chasing the cat obsessivly. I have never had any issues with any dogs I have owned but she is giving me a workout.

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Yeah that will be my last resort, she is a great dog and she knows commands, but she only follows them when she wants too. That's the problem. She is getting spayed in 2 weeks so hopefully that will help too. Thanks for your help!

khatchet

3 Year Member
Yeah mine moxy sometimes get to where he only listen he want. im playing with him as i type