• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Haplopelma Thread!

Atx13

3 Year Member
Post 'em if you got 'em!
I currently have 5 in total, 1 MM H. lividum, 3 MF H. vonwirthi, and 1 Unsexed H. longipes
I haven't taken any recent pics, since all mine decided to finally burrow and be jerks... But we don't have a thread for these Asian beauties, so I figured i'd get the ball rolling!
Pics in order of how they're uploaded:
1- Pre- moult male H. lividum
2-Post moult Mature male H. lividum
3- Juvenile H. longipes
4- Pre moult H. vonwirthi(they turn brown before moulting, I have another female doing this as well, the vonwirthi pictured is now a beautiful jet black, with white marking on her knees)
5- another pre moult H. vonwirthi
6- H. vonwirthi Mature female, thought she might be gravid when i purchased her.. Not thinking so now...
WP_000326.jpg
WP_000585.jpg
WP_000594.jpg
WP_000471.jpg
WP_000367.jpg
WP_000514.jpg

Atx13

3 Year Member
I need to get an updated pic of my beauty that just moulted.
Hoping we have some success when my guy comes over to date your ladies, I want a female H. lividum, but not gonna buy anymore H. lividum, lol.

Atx13

3 Year Member
I've never bought a male and it turn into a female, but have purchased several Ts over the years as female and ended up with males :confused:.. I don't buy confirmed females anymore for that reason...
Unless i see them beforehand, of course.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow a lot of gorgeous spiders in this thread!! I'm seriously considering an H.lividium...maybe they'll have some at the reptile expo in the spring.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Do it Bast! If you can keep an OBT with no issues, an H. lividum will be no problem, you seriously give them enough substrate and watch a hole :p. I love em!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is so funny; I was so nervous and unsure about a lot of OW species...and since coming here and being surrounded by such awesome and supportive people I don't have as many reservations now. Other forums made it seem crazy that anyone 'new' would even think about owning certain T's (and they are very vocal about it), but it really seems to me that as long as you respect them and provide for their needs, they're really not that scary anymore. Not saying that my OBT didn't surprise me with her speed (you really can't understand that until you see it), she's more than happy to run away when I open her lid...of course every time I do I fully expect her to run and am always prepared for it. So thanks guys, for just being so damn cool!

Atx13

3 Year Member
If someone told me 12 years ago, when i got my first T that their was a certain experience level behind keeping them, I would have never got my first T, which was an obt..
Honestly, if you do the research on what you wanna keep, and know how to keep them alive, the only way to gain first hand experience is to keep them.. Nothing can prepare you for keeping an obt or a pokie, aside from keeping them.
A lot of people in the hobby(not on this forum) seem to take pride in turning certain species into monsters. I read horror stories about pokies, and was kind of scared to own them.. I ended up getting a P. regalis, only to find they weren't that insane.. While fast and skittish, and mildly hard to rehouse, they weren't coming after me when i opened their enclosure....
I love keeping Ts, and most of the ones i like are fast... and if i happen to get bit, its gonna suck... Risk i take to keep the pets i enjoy :).

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well said Atx!! Our OBT is a perfect angel in comparison to our Rosie. And while I realize this may not be the norm, this is my experience....and so much for Rosies being the 'perfect' beginner species hehe. I'm glad we have the 3 that we have, and I enjoy the completely different personalities they all have. I am definitely looking forward to pokies and haplo's....and l.violaceopes and p.cancerides, and, and....lol. I am so glad that I picked up our little obt now :)

Atx13

3 Year Member
I've got a P. cancerides coming this week, :). Been high on my want list for some time. Finally getting one :D.
I still sweat just thinking about those Singapore blues..

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've got a P. cancerides coming this week, :). Been high on my want list for some time. Finally getting one :D.
I still sweat just thinking about those Singapore blues..

I've kept Cancerides for years ( have a couple right now) and they're definitely a favorite of mine.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Couple of updated pics for Kenny :p
First two pics are of my H. lividum male, showing off his abs and guns for your ladies, lol.
third pic of my big brown H. vonwirthi after her moult, into a huge Black Vonwirthi, lol.. her carapace is crazy big for a haplo... shes a good 5.5, if not a little bigger,
cant find the tape measure to get an accurate measurement, but she is pretty big.
Fourth pic is of my little H. longipes, she destroyed her burrow and was going crazy before this pic, she is so cute :)
WP_000696.jpg
WP_000701.jpg
WP_000692.jpg
WP_000707.jpg