• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

H. Big black or H. Vietnam or??

Red devil

3 Year Member
Saw this guy/gal at a pet store I frequent. They call me about all the exotic Ts they get but of course only "common name" this one is listed at a Thailand black bird eater. Yes comical. But this one im having a hard time figuring out. I know pics arent the preferred method bit this what I got. Believe H. Sp. Do have a few more but testing this ones temperament wasn't in the cards today. Did notice stripes or chevrons. Still a juvie tho based on the possibility of a mins or Vietnam sizes.

Craig
20170602_195021.jpg
20170602_194639.jpg
20170602_194019.jpg

Attachments

• 20170602_195021.jpg
    20170602_195021.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7

Red devil

3 Year Member
Based on my research I was under the notion both of there species were Haplopelma family. Did this change at some point?

Red devil

3 Year Member
Hey,
From what I can see it looks like Cyriopagapus Minax but they're apparently very rare and the most common in the hobby are actually Cyriopagapus Sp. Big black it's hard to tell... Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me helps you out... :)
Other than my h. Lividum I don't have experience with Asian Ts. Mostly African and Americas. Is this still in the H. Family or has it changed? Everything I read and the pics range 10-15 years. I noticed it's pretty slim. Just needs more hydration or possibly a male? I do understand that Asian Ts are really hard to get the sp. I live in Wisconsin and there are few of us in the hobby. Any help, guidance, or educated guessed would be awesome.

Red devil

3 Year Member
Completely agree. It's horrible. The waterdish was taller than the little guy. So i told them whst they need to do. But whp knows of it will get done. But before I shell out my change I need to at least be in the ballpark on what kind of T this is.
that substrate..... o_O I'd be in a stress pose too

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haplopelma has indeed changed to Cyriopagapus, confusion amongst everyone at the minute.. The cobalt blue is Cyriopagapus Lividus now? I got told off by someone for calling them C.Lividum lol Its very confusing at the moment... :D
Don't get me started on the smithi debate either!!!!!! LOL or the avicularia versicolor (as was). No wonder nobody is really certain any more. I was at the BTS and someone was trying to sell an Avic "aurora" stating it is the new name for the Diversepes as well.:confused:
My GF summed it up
Just buy:
The "cute" one
The "furry" one
The "evil looking" one and the
If you get that "you are mad" one....ha ha

Red devil

3 Year Member
Don't get me started on the smithi debate either!!!!!! LOL or the avicularia versicolor (as was). No wonder nobody is really certain any more. I was at the BTS and someone was trying to sell an Avic "aurora" stating it is the new name for the Diversepes as well.:confused:
My GF summed it up
Just buy:
The "cute" one
The "furry" one
The "evil looking" one and the
If you get that "you are mad" one....ha ha
Lol thats awesome. What's with all the changes recently. I thought we used scientific name cause they DON'T change or get created 6 ways from Sunday?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol thats awesome. What's with all the changes recently. I thought we used scientific name cause they DON'T change or get created 6 ways from Sunday?
Yeah that should be he theory which is why we all try to stick to scientific names rather than common ones. Perhaps the hobby is growing more and more and taxonomy has progressed and they (scientists) have realised that there were many gaps in the genus from the few that were collected initially in the 70s and 80s? I am no expert though...lol
Personally.....I think they are subsets of main families but like the Kennel club (but not as bad), it is better to provide new species to keep the hobby interesting ......and the breeders pockets lined no doubt! But that is just an opinion. If I was on AB with that kind of maverick approach I would be banned by the mods for that....ha ha.

Latest posts