• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Growing ghost peppers

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In Latino households, hot peppers are what is used as a substitute for soap when kids would mouth off to the parents or grandparents. I did that once when I was 4 and never did it again.

Are you Latino, Pan?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cool deal! :) What's the hottest pepper you've eaten?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
ghost peppers suck :p i'm one of those that would rather be able to taste my food with the heat, so habenero is about as hot as i go. However you gotta try them once right? So be prepared :D my lips turned red and were swollen for about an hour, the burn from the ghost pepper lasted a good 30 agonizing minutes, don't drink or try and get the burn to leave by any of the housewives remedies (sugar, baking soda, etc.), it just makes it worse.

Oh and wear gloves if you're preparing the pepper for cooking, nitril gloves not the cotton kitchen gloves, and don't get any of the raw juice near your face, the ghost pepper is the most commonly used pepper for the base of military grade pepper spray.

And the one thing to remember, use less, the heat increases over time. So if you make like a chili dish and use the ghost to spice it up, then put the left overs in the fridge for a quick dinner a few days later, that quick dinner will be hotter than the original meal. This is true with all chili peppers though, they mature and increase in heat. So if you're looking for the hottest possible heat from your pepper, use it at it's ripest state, just before it starts to turn bad.
30 minutes? geez the habanero burnt me up for a good 10 minutes... 20 minutes longer at a much higher heat intensity.. this keeps sounding worse and worse.. I had plans to try milk/bread/honey as a remedy for the heat.. but now I don't even know if I can handle it lol :/

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
30 minutes? geez the habanero burnt me up for a good 10 minutes... 20 minutes longer at a much higher heat intensity.. this keeps sounding worse and worse.. I had plans to try milk/bread/honey as a remedy for the heat.. but now I don't even know if I can handle it lol :/
you gotta try it once :) It lasted 20-30 minutes. The chili my brother was cooking had to simmer for 20 minutes and i had to decide what i wanted to cook and eat instead of the chili lol. My mouth was still burning after the chili was done, not as bad as at first, but it was still there. It affects people differently though, just like pepper spray, some people can get sprayed and fight through it keeping their eyes open etc. like you're supposed to. Others, like me, fall to the ground screaming lol

I use that method for my daughter. My aunt & parents use to use soap/dish detergent but I'm not doing that because there's chemicals in soap....so I use a hot pepper when she lies or back talks.
cayan pepper powder is what my parents used. They used to do the soap trick until my older brother got sick from it. Someone told them to give us a 1/2 teaspoon or so of cayan pepper powder instead. Think that's where i grew my fondness for cayan, jalapeno, etc. :D

I've noticed that cooking a pepper actually increases the intensity of the capsaicin. Would you agree?
Yep, i've noticed this with Serrano peppers. I'll nibble them as i chop them up to toss in whatever dish, usually chili or taco soup, and they do seem hotter after they've cooked.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to just get the hand for mouthing off. Now you eat peppers with out the mouthing off;)
This never happened to me, but there are many that would break brooms, mops sticks, or whatever the parent could find to break over their kids back if peppers didn't work. That is why most Latinos have extremely well behaved kids. Both of my aunts (my mothers sisters) have 10+ kids and most of them are well behaved.