• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gromphadorhina grandideri

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have caught the hissing bug I think. :/
Got some hybrids from Hisser dude but they are still very small. So picked up a 3- pack of these guys.
They sent 5 so generous over count.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hisserdude

3 Year Member

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oops...I did it again...
Aeluropoda insignis
Flat Madagascar Hissing ****roach
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And maybe...once more
Gromphadorhina Portentosa ,
Madagascar hissing ****roach
These guys are big! And they hiss, my others are chill. :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Invert shop hun.
From post on AB -davegrimm1
Got a bunch of all of them :)
http://www.theinvertshop.com/products/Gromphadorhina-Portentosa-,-Madagascar-hissing-****roach,2-inch-sub%2dadult,AKA,Fear-factor-shake.html
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Invert shop hun.
From post on AB -davegrimm1
Got a bunch of all of them :)
http://www.theinvertshop.com/products/Gromphadorhina-Portentosa-,-Madagascar-hissing-****roach,2-inch-sub%2dadult,AKA,Fear-factor-shake.html
View attachment 18358

OK, thanks for the link! They may be hybrids, just saying, most "portentosa" stock is. The only people who sell pure stock that I know of are Kyle at Roachcrossing.com, (and obviously hobbyists who got their stock from Kyle), and Peter from Bugsincyberspace.com, (most likely). It's possible that yours are pure but it's so hard to tell these days since many dealers will mix different stocks with each other, and many of the commonly available stocks are hybrids.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK, thanks for the link! They may be hybrids, just saying, most "portentosa" stock is. The only people who sell pure stock that I know of are Kyle at Roachcrossing.com, (and obviously hobbyists who got their stock from Kyle), and Peter from Bugsincyberspace.com, (most likely). It's possible that yours are pure but it's so hard to tell these days since many dealers will mix different stocks with each other, and many of the commonly available stocks are hybrids.
Don't know at all hun. They are big and hiss a lot. I can get better pictures if it helps?

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Don't know at all hun. They are big and hiss a lot. I can get better pictures if it helps?

Oh no, there's really no good way to tell the difference, even hybrids that have been created with the colourful G.grandidieri end up looking like normal hissers after a few generations. The only way to tell the difference between hybrids and pure stock is lineage tracing, (Kyle's stock for example comes from the Cleveland zoo, an bloodline which has not been exposed to other stock or species and descends directly from individuals caught in Madagascar, so his stock is completely pure.)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh no, there's really no good way to tell the difference, even hybrids that have been created with the colourful G.grandidieri end up looking like normal hissers after a few generations. The only way to tell the difference between hybrids and pure stock is lineage tracing, (Kyle's stock for example comes from the Cleveland zoo, an bloodline which has not been exposed to other stock or species and descends directly from individuals caught in Madagascar, so his stock is completely pure.)
.....it is like Crufts for roaches....lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm actually pretty content with my tarantulas now, Working on scorpions. I had some coming but apparantly that fell through. No lizards, the ones I want take far to much for good set ups and maintainance :p

Last edited:

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I dunno.....suggestions?

Fall ever further into the ****roach hobby, there's so much variety, and most of them are very simple to keep! :D

You could also try centipedes, overcome your fear and get a Scolopendra polymorpha or something similar. They are fun to feed! :)

Amblypygids are very cool as well, and are pretty hardy in captivity. I definitely want to keep some of those someday, they look so prehistoric to me, such interesting arachnids.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fall ever further into the ****roach hobby, there's so much variety, and most of them are very simple to keep! :D

You could also try centipedes, overcome your fear and get a Scolopendra polymorpha or something similar. They are fun to feed! :)

Amblypygids are very cool as well, and are pretty hardy in captivity. I definitely want to keep some of those someday, they look so prehistoric to me, such interesting arachnids.
Centipede give me the creeps except for the house ones (I don't know the name)I keep saying I'll get just one, was a beautiful big black and white one walking across my yard. I watched it for a while but didn't attempt to mess around with it. First one I've seen although we get a lot of millipedes here, I don't see many centipedes.
And I do eventually want some of the aliens :p
Im way paranoid about invasive roaches getting loose though. Already checking these 99 times a day lol