• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Green mold?

Antsman

3 Year Member
Is this mold or moss? Should I be concerned.

Mold%2Bor%2BMoss%2B%25281%2529.JPG

j0ks4ShZVxnZeLmBTcwyYCLG92y9FdrBPQBU2R1Hn_6jnb7EPKUuyg6EPhM2tw42T5mCJnv8pA=w1366-h768-no

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Did it just appear, or could it have been there before? The substrate looks quite dry, which usually prohibits mold growth.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't recall seeing it before I added the substrate.

Is there any way for you to carefully scoop out the sub in that section? Then, just keep an eye on it to see if it comes back. When I find a small spot, I scoop it out and let that area dry out.

Antsman

3 Year Member
I found this picture of the same fugus/mold, it grows in potted plants. Trying to nail down the type to see if it is harmful or not.

home-design.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I remember reading somewhere that blue-green molds should always be removed.
May want to think about a few springtails?
Meanwhile use a long spatula or something else thin and just get that area. Go slowly and the T may not even notice.

Antsman

3 Year Member
Where can I buy a spring tail culture? I can see more of it around the tank, little bits everywhere. I think the Eco-earth I bought may have been contaminated. The substrate is bone dry, its hard to believe it will grow. Should I maybe bake it in the oven to kill this?

Antsman

3 Year Member
Are you in the USA hun?
I know Joshs frogs has them. But a search will bring up results on the net as well.

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/food-nutrition/feeder-insects-supplies/springtails-2/show/all.html

I'm in Canada, but I found a place with a large selection of different spring tails, can you recommend the best one.
My enclosure is really dry will they survive, and these guys are just little cleaners correct? They will die off when the mold/food source is gone?
http://shop.genesisexotics.com/t/springtails-and-isopods

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I found this picture of the same fugus/mold, it grows in potted plants. Trying to nail down the type to see if it is harmful or not.

home-design.jpg

Yuck! Yeah, I would try to get that portion of it out and see if it returns. Springtails are great, but they need it a bit moist.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
The springtails I've had the best results with are these Tropical pink springtails, they work great in moist enclosures to keep mold away and outcompete mites! :) However, springtails are generally only effective in cages that are consistently kept moist, and generally don't burrow much, so unless the fungus is on the surface of the substrate or in an accessible part of the tarantula's burrow, they probably won't find that mold.

Antsman

3 Year Member
I removed it best I could, and wiped it down with a bit of vinegar. It was very dry, fell right off no residue. I think it was from when the substrate was still a little moist. I checked around and didn't see much more just a few tiny bits. I also cleaned and checked around the water dish, it was a bit damp from being covered and there was nothing. He/She was very good, sat and ate a meal worm and watched me.
I would think as long as I keep it nice and dry, I should be okay. I have it sticking around 50% humidity, rises a bit at night.
I'll keep a good eye on it, worst case scenario new substrate, baked in oven. And another good vinegar wash down.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
drop the humidity. 50% isn't dry especially if that's a G. rosea, that's fairly moist for them, almost triple the natural habitat they're from - 17% ambient and 14% soil humidity up to 1 meter deep. Granted they're on the edges of the atacama desert so the humidity would be slightly higher.

If it's the B. albo that should be fine.