• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammestola Rosea (PCF) Tempremant

primekeeper

3 Year Member
hey guys its ash again...

just a bit confused at my G rosea's temperament... I bought her home from my local pet store and she couldn't have been a happier T. ive had her for a couple of months now, all of a sudden shes completely changed towards me, hates the idea of just doing general maintenance... she throws threat poses all over the place now...

just a quick one, is this normal. not overly fussed as I keep more aggressive reptiles but after extensive research these are meant to be a docile T.

many thanks for your help.
Ash.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hey guys its ash again...

just a bit confused at my G rosea's temperament... I bought her home from my local pet store and she couldn't have been a happier T. ive had her for a couple of months now, all of a sudden shes completely changed towards me, hates the idea of just doing general maintenance... she throws threat poses all over the place now...

just a quick one, is this normal. not overly fussed as I keep more aggressive reptiles but after extensive research these are meant to be a docile T.

many thanks for your help.
Ash.
Howdy Ash, Grammastola are known for mood swings, in fact in my experience all of them are. I have a Lasiodora difficilis that went from slightly skittish to slapping the ground and actually drooling venom when I opened her enclosure. They all have bad days, but some will change like that for a long time before they settle back down. Or maybe never settle at all..that's yet to be seen though, for me.

primekeeper

3 Year Member
Howdy Ash, Grammastola are known for mood swings, in fact in my experience all of them are. I have a Lasiodora difficilis that went from slightly skittish to slapping the ground and actually drooling venom when I opened her enclosure. They all have bad days, but some will change like that for a long time before they settle back down. Or maybe never settle at all..that's yet to be seen though, for me.
she was the kindest T ever to be honest. she was once upon a time handlable however I don't condone it. shes turned two weeks ago.

Nunua

3 Year Member
I don't own a T yet, but what I have heard and studied, experienced hobbyists are actually a bit skeptic about Grammostola sold and advertised as "docile, (pretty much always) easy to handle" species, and your experience explains why.
Even though Grammostolas can be all happy and relaxed, it's totally normal that they get really harsh mood swings, and they just don't agree with anything at all, even if everything has stayed same as before.

Hopefully your T will have plenty of happy, relaxed days as well but like MassExodus said, moody periods might take a long time or even forever. Good luck with the currently temperament lady.

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Favorite T is my G.porteri.
She's either sweet as sugar, calm gentile and seemingly content,
or
a raving maniac pretending to be an OBT with pms.
I adore her either way, we have an understanding,
I respect her space and she doesn't bite me, its a perfect match :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My G. rosea is as calm and docile as can be. I've never had a threat pose, never had her bolt, she's almost a pet rock. I say almost as she tends to climb the enclosure sides to come say "HI!!" when you open it for watering or maintenance. One of the very few I've intentionally handled, but then again she's only 3/4" or so ;)

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
My G. rosea is as calm and docile as can be. I've never had a threat pose, never had her bolt, she's almost a pet rock. I say almost as she tends to climb the enclosure sides to come say "HI!!" when you open it for watering or maintenance. One of the very few I've intentionally handled, but then again she's only 3/4" or so ;)
I've had my G. rosea since 1998 and have never had a threat pose. Just the other day when I was cleaning her water bowl she came out webbed on me and I put her back into her home.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
The only thing I can tell you is that I have heard about 75% stories of darling rosies and 25% demon rosies over the years. Sometimes that 75/25 split is the same individual!
They're spiders and we don't have a clue about what is going on in their little arachnid brains.
My experience has been a darling rosie for almost 17 years - not one threat pose or hair throwing. However, I have handled her twice in those 17 years - the day I bought her and the other night when I was checking her mouth area for parasites.
Evelyn and I have the same arrangement as @Kymura and her rosie have. And in return, my Evelyn will tolerate me taking photos of her.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What's the PFC in the topic indicate? I know rfc and nfc and afc ;) haven't heard of PFC before

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I found this great site. Still reading all of it. Thought I'd share.

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Stanley Schultz has always been one of the best resources in the hobby. I remember first being on the forums and he was active on some of them. He has a very no-nonsense approach that is sometimes what people need. You can't get much more straight forward than Stan.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Stanley Schultz has always been one of the best resources in the hobby. I remember first being on the forums and he was active on some of them. He has a very no-nonsense approach that is sometimes what people need. You can't get much more straight forward than Stan.
Agreed. I've read some of the old threads he was in.