• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good container size for juvenile B. smithi

Chris Tyler

3 Year Member
So i'm thinking about getting a B. smithi i already know that i'm going to use coco fiber for the substrate but how big should its container be?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Depends on how big the spider is. they should have enough room for a hide and a water bowl and to move around a little bit.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
rule of thumb I've always followed is 2-3 times wider than their diagonal leg span (dls) measure that from front left to back right leg in a relaxed sitting position. that way you're not rehousing them as often, they can live in that enclosure for 2 or 3 (or a bunch if they're slow growers) molts. I rehouse when there's an inch or so of room left in the width over their dls.

So if you have a 2" T i'd go with a 4 to 6" wide enclosure, then when it's at 5" dls it's time to rehouse.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
If I get them as 2-3" juveniles, I will tend to put them into a bit larger container only because it is convenient to not have to rehouse them as often. I don't want to make it too big, though. If they are still a bit on the smaller side - what @kormath has outlined is the best way to go.
If you do opt to go a for a bit on the larger side - you can put some stuff inside it to cut down on the open space, like a hide and some fake plants. Just so that the amount of open space doesn't make the little one freaked out.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If I get them as 2-3" juveniles, I will tend to put them into a bit larger container only because it is convenient to not have to rehouse them as often. I don't want to make it too big, though. If they are still a bit on the smaller side - what @kormath has outlined is the best way to go.
If you do opt to go a for a bit on the larger side - you can put some stuff inside it to cut down on the open space, like a hide and some fake plants. Just so that the amount of open space doesn't make the little one freaked out.
Hmm, good point. I might have to change my thumb to 3x dls, that way once they get to the 3" or so mark they'll be in their final enclosure.

Latest posts