• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good bye crickets hello roaches

Pasodama

3 Year Member
If you want a species suggestion, I would say Dubia roaches.
Next choice would be the Blatta lateralis (aka Turkistan) roach.
As for a kit, you can usually get that from any seller of feeders.

Annabellam

3 Year Member
I haven't tried feeding roaches and would love to hear your experiences on how they took it. Before my T got used to troubles, gave me a bit of trouble but now he's okay.Just looking to improve the diet in all ways possible.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Few things i've noticed using both as feeders.

For slings and juvies up to about 3 inches lateralis are the best feeders. you can use them to feed all sizes of Ts. i feed them to my 1/4" dls slings up to the 3" or so juvies/sub adults. They run and run and run so the Ts feeding response to them is great.

Problem is they only get to be about 1.5" fully grown so anything over about 3" dls will need 2 or more for a meal. That's where the dubia come in great. They get up to about 2 or 2.5" full grown so they'll feed the larger Ts well. But they burrow and they love to play dead. so on the slower Ts like the A. chalcodes and G. rosea i've found it works better to drop the dubia in on their backs, then the flailing around they do to right themselves draws the T in. If they get righted before the T gets there and the dubia play dead i take a make up brush and gently nudge the dubia to get the Ts interest, and sometimes when you do that the dubia will run away and the T will pounce.

I've had some success with the smaller Ts when i tong feed them dubias. but i don't like doing that too much, sometimes they strike at the roach and hit the tongs. i'll have to see if i have a memory card i can put in my camera and do a feeding video this coming weekend.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I've ordered dubia roaches from Amazon. I'm sure it's a gamble and may be different suppliers but I've ordered from them several times and haven't had any problems yet.

Annabellam

3 Year Member
I should also try the roaches and see if my T will take them or will be a picky eater again. Hope you find the best deals. Keep us posted.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i've always ordered my roaches from Cape Cod Roaches, Aaron Pauling, or dubiaroaches.com (i think it is) I get the lateralis from the same places except the pinheads for the smallest slings i order through Jamies, and check your cart so you don't accidentally order a T with them like i have twice now :p

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i've always ordered my roaches from Cape Cod Roaches, Aaron Pauling, or dubiaroaches.com (i think it is) I get the lateralis from the same places except the pinheads for the smallest slings i order through Jamies, and check your cart so you don't accidentally order a T with them like i have twice now :p
I heard good things about arron pauling on RobC's youtube

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I heard good things about arron pauling on RobC's youtube
He's got good prices and a great selection of feeders. Only thing i don't like about ordering from him is the roaches are loose in the shipping box. So be careful when you open it, or put it in a bin first then open it so they can't escape all over the room like my son had happen with our last order.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He's got good prices and a great selection of feeders. Only thing i don't like about ordering from him is the roaches are loose in the shipping box. So be careful when you open it, or put it in a bin first then open it so they can't escape all over the room like my son had happen with our last order.
With dubideli the prices arent bad and they ship them contained. But they only sell dubia

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I actually am starting a dubia roach colony.. bought 240 from lllreptile.. varied sized from nymphs to jumbos so there is a steady breeding group with out gaps.. also bought the food and water crystals and egg crates etc there as well.. I'm the same way.. I'm done with the nasty smell and short lifespan of crickets.

Latest posts