• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Glass Aquarium Question...

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey guys I was just wondering how many of u use a glass aqarium with an acrlic top and the vents in the front for arboreal species. Im pretty interested in doing that....seems like a nice looking cheap way to go. Im just concerned about the lack of cross ventilation....thoughts?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd use them, I just like cheese ball containers better. Just make sure there's heavy ventilation in the door. Yeah ideally you want cross vent, you'll just have to adjust your moisture routine and make sure the room is well ventilated. I actually prefer glass..its just not ideal, as you said, for good ventilation. But if its basically one huge vent on the door, I think its fine.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Hey guys I was just wondering how many of u use a glass aqarium with an acrlic top and the vents in the front for arboreal species. Im pretty interested in doing that....seems like a nice looking cheap way to go. Im just concerned about the lack of cross ventilation....thoughts?
I'm thinking the same thing. These 10 gal aquariums are always for sale $1/gal. I have a few and was gonna try n slowly, starting small, try n drill holes into the glass. I Kno its been done, and without specialized bits. Worse case, I crack the glass panel, and I cut the seals and remove it, and fit a plexiglass replacement anyway.
I think they look great as arboreal enclosures, and wanna figure it out before my pokies get big enuff.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not yet. I only have three arboreal Ts. The trick is to put ventilation holes low near the sub and high near the top. This will create a circulating air current.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Not yet. I only have three arboreal Ts. The trick is to put ventilation holes low near the sub and high near the top. This will create a circulating air current.
I have a couple terrestrial Ts in them, that don't need high ventilation or humidity, but was worried doing it with arboreals.
So, as long as you think putting the holes on the front panel will create enough circulation, I'm gonna try it.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know cross ventilation is recommended/mandatory but I have kept all my Ts (arboreal and terrestrial) in converted glass aquariums for 20+ years with only converted vents in the lid without any problems. I use a digital hygrometer for humidity measurements and mist accordingly. Usually have the lids open at least once a day just cos I like looking in on everyone. ....lol. I have at the moment several 12 inch glass cubes for the terrestrials that have acrylic lids with lots of vent holes. I am sure the purists would say this is all wrong but seems to work for me and has done for many many years.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I know cross ventilation is recommended/mandatory but I have kept all my Ts (arboreal and terrestrial) in converted glass aquariums for 20+ years with only converted vents in the lid without any problems. I use a digital hygrometer for humidity measurements and mist accordingly. Usually have the lids open at least once a day just cos I like looking in on everyone. ....lol. I have at the moment several 12 inch glass cubes for the terrestrials that have acrylic lids with lots of vent holes. I am sure the purists would say this is all wrong but seems to work for me and has done for many many years.
Perfect. Something like this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thx. I'm sure there are people out there who put their Ts in glass aquariums and don't properly vent, hydrate or humidify them, and the Ts die. I feel as long as I do what's necessary they'll do fine. I just needed to hear it.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I'd use them, I just like cheese ball containers better. Just make sure there's heavy ventilation in the door. Yeah ideally you want cross vent, you'll just have to adjust your moisture routine and make sure the room is well ventilated. I actually prefer glass..its just not ideal, as you said, for good ventilation. But if its basically one huge vent on the door, I think its fine.

Cheese ball containers? Could you post what you mean? I'm trying to get ideas for housing my new adult Tap. Thanks!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160410_10_19_28_Pro.jpg

These are five bucks at WalMart, cheese balls:) I'm using 9 of them right now, and four more soon. Those are ten gallon tall tanks on either side, for size reference. Perfect for a tap, no?

Scott Fitzgerald

3 Year Member
I use a 10 gallon aquarium with potting soil and coconut substrate scattered with rocks, fake plants and a water dish for my Blue Cobalt but my Arboreal is in a tall container rather than wide. They like to be high and he builds his tunnel across the entire top of the enclosure. He gives me fits because every time I open the lid I wreck part of his web. What I want to talk about is my Blue Cobalt. I bought him over 2 weeks ago and all he has done is burrow into the substrate and sit there. He hasn't fed, drank water or even moved out of his burrow. He moves if probed but won't exit the burrow. Is he okay?

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I use a 10 gallon aquarium with potting soil and coconut substrate scattered with rocks, fake plants and a water dish for my Blue Cobalt but my Arboreal is in a tall container rather than wide. They like to be high and he builds his tunnel across the entire top of the enclosure. He gives me fits because every time I open the lid I wreck part of his web. What I want to talk about is my Blue Cobalt. I bought him over 2 weeks ago and all he has done is burrow into the substrate and sit there. He hasn't fed, drank water or even moved out of his burrow. He moves if probed but won't exit the burrow. Is he okay?
It takes them a while to get cumfy with their new environments. Especially cobalts. Mine dug into her starter burrow I provided, and burrowed 180 degrees around and the entire length of her lg Kritter keeper....completely at the bottom of the substrate. They are amazing earth movers. Give urs time

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
image.jpeg