• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting 3 new T's

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I switched the Pterinochilus murinus to a Phormictopus cancerides. I was a little concerned of the potent venom.
You did yourself a favor. Obts generally dont show themselves. Phormictopus is my favorite genus. Mine show none of the aggression attributed to them, although they do have a little character. :) they're always out, grow fast and have great appetites. My sub adult Phormictopus sp green is getting gorgeous, plus I have 3 sp green slings, 2 atrichomatus and im looking for a female cancerides. Now im focusing on cautus as well. Another member here, @Tomoran has a very impressive Phormictopus collection. Although lately, T stirmi and Pamphobeteus species have been interfering in my pursuit of Phormictopus..

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You did yourself a favor. Obts generally dont show themselves. Phormictopus is my favorite genus. Mine show none of the aggression attributed to them, although they do have a little character. :) they're always out, grow fast and have great appetites. My sub adult Phormictopus sp green is getting gorgeous, plus I have 3 sp green slings, 2 atrichomatus and im looking for a female cancerides. Now im focusing on cautus as well. Another member here, @Tomoran has a very impressive Phormictopus collection. Although lately, T stirmi and Pamphobeteus species have been interfering in my pursuit of Phormictopus..

Did someone say Phormictopus? :)

Definitely my favorite terrestrial genus as well! I just love their colors and attitude, and the feeding response is amazing. I JUST managed to snag a Phormictopus auratus sling yesterday, so I'm super stoked about that.

Glad to see this genus finally getting some love! :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Phormictopus all the way for me too!

Tom, you'll see how beautiful P auratus (= platus, according to some Czech dealers) are: mine is one of my jewels, even as a female!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I absolutely can't wait! :) And I've also heard that many suspect them to be the same species. :)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I absolutely can't wait! :) And I've also heard that many suspect them to be the same species. :)
There's a good article on the subject in the BTS journal 31/2 (July 2016).

I've also bought a P sp green (no idea if it's green femur, full green or green gold carapace or whatever), she has grown up a lot but there is still no green whatsoever on her! And she's very leggy and jumpy for a lady...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
20170227_130448.jpg
I just missed the platus female at Jaimies:( i immediately clicked on it to buy it, but it was sold. I do have another F stirmi (7") coming from @Metalman2004 though, which is awesome. In the next year when my male hooks out I'll try my hand at two stirmi sacs. Plus, at least one of my sp green slings will be male, so my female will be bred eventually. Im still awaiting her final colors, shes got green femurs and a green/black/ivory striped carapace, but she has a few molts before full maturity. Ive got to get a new phone, but here she is showing none of the colors i described:(

Antsman

3 Year Member
What I've learned/read on this forum and others.
Phormictopus cancerides - Light misting, overflow water dish once every 3-4 days. They like a a little more humidity. Fast growing, fast movement, good eaters, I was told to give them a little more room a slings as they grow quite quickly. Readily bites, not prone to kicking hairs. When larger they prefer to stay in the open. Use tongs when working in the enclosure.

Grammostola pulchra - For the most part same care as my G. porteri, overflow the water dish once in a while. Docile in most cases.

Aphonopelma seemanni - Overflow water dish once a week. They like a a little humidity, but for the most part dry substrate. Mostly docile, but not to be underestimated.

Of coarse as slings keep them more moist.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These general guidlines are fine. I have yet to see an angry/aggressive Phormictopus yet though. I have 6 species of the genus. None have given me a threat posture. My big female green is wary but not defensive. The slings are the same as any other, skittish but not crazy. I get more grief from campbridgei and Hapalopus sp large.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There's a good article on the subject in the BTS journal 31/2 (July 2016).

I've also bought a P sp green (no idea if it's green femur, full green or green gold carapace or whatever), she has grown up a lot but there is still no green whatsoever on her! And she's very leggy and jumpy for a lady...

I will definitely have to check that out. As for the greens, I have three, and I currently have NO idea which ones they are. The color variants are getting a bit out of hand. Haha

My greens are fairly calm still, but they are only about 4" or so.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
View attachment 22769 I just missed the platus female at Jaimies:( i immediately clicked on it to buy it, but it was sold. I do have another F stirmi (7") coming from @Metalman2004 though, which is awesome. In the next year when my male hooks out I'll try my hand at two stirmi sacs. Plus, at least one of my sp green slings will be male, so my female will be bred eventually. Im still awaiting her final colors, shes got green femurs and a green/black/ivory striped carapace, but she has a few molts before full maturity. Ive got to get a new phone, but here she is showing none of the colors i described:(

Man, I didn't even see the platus female listed....ugh! Ha! Don't you just LOVE when the colors won't show up? Shes' gorgeous regardless. :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
These general guidlines are fine. I have yet to see an angry/aggressive Phormictopus yet though. I have 6 species of the genus. None have given me a threat posture. My big female green is wary but not defensive. The slings are the same as any other, skittish but not crazy. I get more grief from campbridgei and Hapalopus sp large.

I agree. I've had three threat poses total between seven species and about 20 specimens. Most of mine just sit there pretty calmly when I open the enclosures. My cancerides are particularly laid back...all four of them.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i never can find a Phormictopus available when i can order, it's the last one on my genus must have list :( guess i'll have to keep checking vendors and snag one when i see one available.

Latest posts