• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB enclosure

kirihime

3 Year Member
Hello! I recently got my first T and so since I'm new to the hobby had a question as to when i can change her enclosure. She's a 2nd instar that I got a couple weeks ago and is still in the 2oz deli cup she came with but it seems really small. Tips?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The rule of thumb i use is to upgrade when their leg span is half the width of their current home. then upgrade them into an enclosure at least twice their leg span to give them room to grow. Rehousing causes tons of stress, the less you have to rehouse them the better.

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
The rule of thumb i use is to upgrade when their leg span is half the width of their current home. then upgrade them into an enclosure at least twice their leg span to give them room to grow. Rehousing causes tons of stress, the less you have to rehouse them the better.
If the new enclosure is twice their leg span, then their leg span will already be half the width... something is confusing about the math here...

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You are welcome to use a larger container but its much easier to lose a small sling that way and since you are new its better to use smaller ones to have more control and make it easier to find.

kirihime

3 Year Member
Thank you! I was confused because my friend (also new to the hobby) got an antilles pinktoe and he came in a much larger tupperware. Is it a terrestrial vs. arboreal sort of thing?

kirihime

3 Year Member
It's still pretty tall compared to his size. and so the takeaway regarding the GBB is that the smaller cup is so that I don't lose her but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade her provided I still maintain temp and humidity requirements correct?

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's still pretty tall compared to his size. and so the takeaway regarding the GBB is that the smaller cup is so that I don't lose her but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade her provided I still maintain temp and humidity requirements correct?
yes. It will be ok in the deli but if you want to have it in something a bit more aesthetically pleasing. You can do what I did which was a 4"square x5"tall amac box. You can get them permade from jamiestarantulas.com which some people find a bit pricey or find one and make if yourself which is cheaper to do.went the jamies route since i was new to Ts and felt having something made already would be easier.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i'd go with amac boxes, then drill or melt your own vent holes in them. Much cheaper, plus i don't like the positon of that large vent on any of Jaime's enclosures.

Latest posts