• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. roseas, doubled up

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I picked up a pair of roseas a few months ago. I currently have them in a basic 5gal terrarium with locking screen top measuring 16inx8inx8in and used a piece of clear lexan to divide it. They each have half of a cork tube with silk plants attached. The half tube creates a small hollow for them to burrow into if they choose (neither one does this) and the plants are set-up as more of an overgrowth(ish) environment for them to find shelter under which they prefer. I haven't witnessed either one climbing much in this set-up with the exception of occasionally finding them on the lower level leaves. They have roughly 3-4inches of packed coco fiber as substrate.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
looks great, but I would strongly suggest seperating them. some how one always finds a way over or under the divider.
wttb.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I was actually worried about that at first and to my surprise, one managed to squeeze over on my first divider attempt. I ended up revamping it with divider 2.0 and custom cut it to fit every corner. The space allowed on top and bottom is just enough for a piece of paper to fit through and it's held in securely. I haven't had an issue since, but I'm keeping an eye out.

Thanks for the concern.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was actually worried about that at first and to my surprise, one managed to squeeze over on my first divider attempt. I ended up revamping it with divider 2.0 and custom cut it to fit every corner. The space allowed on top and bottom is just enough for a piece of paper to fit through and it's held in securely. I haven't had an issue since, but I'm keeping an eye out.

Thanks for the concern.

just be careful opening the lid. They can be pretty fast when they want to be.

Tguy

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to TF.... how did you bond the divider to the tank ?...with a screen lid sooner or later you will end up with one fat spider..... hate to see you loose such a nice looking T

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
just be careful opening the lid. They can be pretty fast when they want to be.

Yeah they can. I'm always watching when that happens. They usually won't climb at all with the plants in place, but I'm always watching when the lid is open.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to TF.... how did you bond the divider to the tank ?...with a screen lid sooner or later you will end up with one fat spider..... hate to see you loose such a nice looking T

The divider is bonded on the bottom with silicon and is sealed by its own pressure on the sides. The top is secured in the corners with silicone as well. And there is barely enough space for a sheet of printer paper to fit through the screen top. A long as the screen isn't damaged no one is getting into the other side.

Tguy

3 Year Member
...i've seen many different setups over the years fail..never underestimate them.T's are very stong and don't need much space ..not being an a$$ just giving my 2 cents :)

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Appreciated. I've used this same set-up for bark scorpions and those buggers can fit through almost anything. I never had an escapee, but I am always watching out for it.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Love your pictures! The double cricket lunch shot is awesome (that's how our Rosie eats too lol) :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Noelle just eats them both simultaneously...she's kind of a glutton lol

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Last I was in my favorite shop a fellow was talking about a similar set up he had for 2 Gooty Sapphires...he only has one now since the other had an expensive dinner... :(

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Additionally, welcome!

What T's and inverts are you keeping?
Last I was in my favorite shop a fellow was talking about a similar set up he had for 2 Gooty Sapphires...he only has one now since the other had an expensive dinner... :(

I have heard of and have seen it happen before with other species Ive kept growing up. These are actually my first t's--just a pair of roses. I have kept and bred many scorpions and a few true spiders. I've used a similar set-up housing bark scorpions individually in a 10gal terrarium similar to this one (20inx10inx12in). The trick I've learned is getting the correct cuts on the Lexan to proper fit around the top where all of the glass and plastic top piece meet the screen. As long as the screen is undamaged a d doesn't had any give to it, the set-up will work. That's why I'm constantly checking up on it. I'll let you guys know if anything changes.

As far as inverts I have currently, just these two. But I've had a lot of experience with inverts.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Thanks. And according to the ventral sexing method that Kenny. posted about in another thread, I have discovered that both of them appear to be female. They look to me like they should be molting soon, so I will double check at that point in time, but the appearance is female :).