• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G.rosea, social or false pretence

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
Evening all,
For some stupid reason, I got myself a rosea about a week ago, the store had 6, so I went threw them all, done a bit of temperament tests, checked the over, has an attempt on looking at gender and come away with Lolly!! She was lively , attempting to come out at the store, she even jumped and landed on the assistance hand which made her jump and me laugh a lot! All went well once home, and she's settled!
BUT I've done tons and tons of research on these guys and no how Jekyll and Hyde they can be! So I'm jubious !Every time I go to her tank she climbs to the top, she will sit there for ages poking her feet out the little vents! Even when I walk away she sits there waiting for me! She is the complete opposite of pet rock! I just trying to figure out if she wants to stick her fangs in me or is extremely social able! These guys are so one extreme to another I don't no what to make of it!!anyone else had a rosea like this?

marya1962

3 Year Member
My Rosie likes being out in her cage instead of the den we made for her. The only time she used the den was to molt. Now she's trying to live under her smaller than before water dish again. She is easy to hold and likes the laptop heat vent where she can lurk for houseflies (she got bored with the ant cursor since it wasn't real food.
uploadfromtaptalk1438723712543.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ours never used a hide and spends a lot of time clambering around on his wood, definitely not a pet hole.. He'll box the water as I top up his bowl but hasn't shown any sign of aggression towards us although we don't handle the Ts. He's a greedy feeder and has never fasted - yet.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine hardly ever hides neither. She's not aggressive or defensive (I don't handle her, but the guy in the shop did), but never used to like my husband approaching her tank. She's now used to him, lol. She did throw her flower pot hide around her enclosure once.
Like the above, she's not a pet hole/rock neither and always potters around her enclosure, often sitting right at the front as if she watches us moving around her, lol. She does fast though, but oh well, she seems healthy and is not losing any weight.
IMG_5351_zpse8bc5c55.jpg

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
I guess these are a great spider if u get a good one! Thanks for all replies, just after the feedback I got from my research the rose was a miserable pet rock! So when she started behaving this way it took me back abit!

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I guess these are a great spider if u get a good one! Thanks for all replies, just after the feedback I got from my research the rose was a miserable pet rock! So when she started behaving this way it took me back abit!
I went to the pet shop completely determined to just get housing and then order a Brachy or A. Genic online. I definitely did NOT want a GR, lol. Explained to the shop owner I was looking at buying my first spider, he told me to wait a minute, came back and put this beautiful fire red spider on my hand. I fell in love instantly and brought her home that day (the Genic and Brachy followed soon after, lol).

AceTRetreat

3 Year Member
I have several (not my first T's though .. surprise) .... they are both fine to do cage maintenance around and deal with ... both can be held (if you are so inclined). Mine are both normal/gray color form if that makes a difference .. some say it does .. me not so sure.