• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. rosea finally ate for the first time!

Meludox

3 Year Member
I've had my first tarantula, Isabella, since May 10, so it's been about 6 months. And she's a Chilean Rose so of course she's been purging since I got her. However, she finally ate a roach for the first time tonight! I'm very excited.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
awesome super happy for you! think that would have me pulling my hair out with worry .

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
awesome super happy for you! think that would have me pulling my hair out with worry .
They're known for fasting for long periods of time. Mine had fasted for nearly 9 months at one point. Another reason why I personally recommend Brachys or Aphonopelma over this species.

Meludox

3 Year Member
Yeah, I've read a lot about people preferring other tarantulas over Chilean Roses for beginners, however I don't have room for another one so I've been putting up with her fasting for a while. :) And my dubia roaches have gotten huge! I purposely got smaller ones to begin with but man have they grown in the last 6 months.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a mature male porteri that fasted like that, my female is a big stocky girl that's always eaten when offered, she'll only refuse if she's about to molt. I suspect she's wild caught, but she's really docile. I saw an obvious female, big and beautiful, so I had to buy her.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, I've read a lot about people preferring other tarantulas over Chilean Roses for beginners, however I don't have room for another one so I've been putting up with her fasting for a while. :) And my dubia roaches have gotten huge! I purposely got smaller ones to begin with but man have they grown in the last 6 months.
I'm glad I got mine, its been webbing here and there tonight and I've been sitting here chuckling at it. I'm lucky as it's burrow is against the enclosure so I can usually see what its up to ^^ When it stops eating I'll whine and worry a little but its worth it :)

Latest posts