• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G.pulchripes mating?

Wg25

3 Year Member
20151107_153426.jpg
20151210_071946.jpg

Hey guys
Like I said in another tread earlier...A good friend bought me the female and he owns the male. We have both been the hobby for a few years and would love to try breeding with these two!
But we literally know almost nothing about it! I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I start...so can anyone give me any important tips that you have to know when breeding? And are these two Chako's even sexually matured? We don't know the age of the female but the male is just over 3 years old!

Thistles

3 Year Member
The top is the male, no? Looks like he is, but take a pic of his pedipalps from the side or bottom, please. How large is the new female?

Wg25

3 Year Member
20151107_153044.jpg

Yes the top is the male you can clearly see his tibial hooks when he climbs his enclosure! This is the best picture I can get of his pedipalps! The female is about 11 cm long!

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yeah the male is definitely mature and should be paired asap. 11 cm DLS is a bit small to pair. Is that her body length or diagonal leg span? How does she compare in size to the male?

Wg25

3 Year Member
Yeah the male is definitely mature and should be paired asap. 11 cm DLS is a bit small to pair. Is that her body length or diagonal leg span? How does she compare in size to the male?
Yes it is 11 cm from front leg to back leg! The female has a much bigger abdomen but the male has a longer legspan and ill say they male's legs are just a little bit thicker

Thistles

3 Year Member
You could try it, but I generally wait until the female is a little larger. Just give them a lot of room in case one or the other isn't in the mood.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Need something for size reffernce. The female.shiult be at least 5" diagonal leg span and spermathecae should be skeleterized.
She looks a bit thin to be paired. If she is not well fed she will. Viewiw the male as a meal not a mate.

Wg25

3 Year Member
Need something for size reffernce. The female.shiult be at least 5" diagonal leg span and spermathecae should be skeleterized.
She looks a bit thin to be paired. If she is not well fed she will. Viewiw the male as a meal not a mate.
Thanks for replying scoolman! They seem really interested in each other and always sit at the side of their enclosures right next to each other. Since I've moved them side by side the male is going crazy....trying is best to reach her. I measured her properly last night and she is almost 5 inches dls. She is still eating a few crickets a week. I'm just dying to do it because I can see this poor male doesn't have a lot of time left.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nothing wrong with trYing. Either they or they don't. The male might get killed and eaten, just be prepared for that.

Wg25

3 Year Member
Nothing wrong with trYing. Either they or they don't. The male might get killed and eaten, just be prepared for that.
And I have a feeling that is gonna happen. The male is quite old and looks a bit weak. And the female looks young and bulky. I don't know her molt cycle...but she is still eating. And I don't think the male will molt again. So I hope she doesn't molt right after mating. But I will keep you updated on what happens. Because if it works....I'm going to need a lot more advice! ;)

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not knowing the last molt is dicey, but not a deal breaker. If they do pair, it will be next spring before you get a sac.

Wg25

3 Year Member
Not knowing the last molt is dicey, but not a deal breaker. If they do pair, it will be next spring before you get a sac.
I want to wait but she is still eating a lot which makes me thing she didn't molt to long ago. And her the gold on her knees are much brighter than the males....and like I said in a earlier post , the male looks like his days are numbered! But maybe I will just try once and if it doesn't work I'll have to wait a few months!

Latest posts