• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G pulchra Egg Sac

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Minx has produced a sac
She was paired with Midnight(001), one of the original Fab Four, the last week of March to the first week of April. On June 28 she went into her hide and covered the entrance with a thick layer of silk. On July 2 I notice she had removed the thick layer of silk from the entrance and replaced it with a much thinner layer. On July 3 I peered into her hide using a borescope camera and saw what looked to be an egg sac. On July 4 I was able to see clearly into her hide and took a few pictures. I was able to clearly see a large egg sac, and a very thin Minx. I expect hatch-lings around August 19.
I am definitely not the first to produce captive bred G. pulchra in the U.S., but this is a rare event in the U.S..
Here's to hoping this sac is viable, healthy, and Minx is a good momma.

Borescope video
[video=youtube;jauT1F81XfE]

Pics of Minx guarding her sac (looks to be a good size)
20130704_170054.jpg

20130704_170733.jpg

20130704_170404.jpg

Sabeth

3 Year Member
That is so exciting! Congratulations. :) How are G. pulchras as pets? Are they docile? I've got one on my wish list. :p

Sabeth

3 Year Member
What a beautiful T! That's good to know...I'm finding that quiet and low-key tarantulas are my absolute favorites since I am quiet and low-key myself. I have two slings that are lovely but also speedy. That has been unnerving for me, lol. Which makes my B. smithi my favorite T. :)

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Minx was offered a roach the other day, which she took readily. I hoping with a full belly she will be less inclined to feel the need to eat her sac.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Minx has barricaded her entrance with sub and silk. I can no longer see her or her sac. I will have to use the borescope if I want to check on her.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can imagine! Keep us updated! Are you still updating your blog? I just recently changed RSS feed readers, so I need to check and make sure it is updated correctly.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
PULLED IT!!!!!!!!!
Pulled the sac this evening. I feel so bad for Minx. She fought so hard to protect her sac. Took me about 10 min to get it from her.
All are 1st instar, about two dozen bad eggs. Some cannibalism already happening. Looks like about 133 healthy slings.

20130819_minx%2520sac.jpg
20130819_minx%2520clutch.jpg