• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Found worms in water dish.

Vagansfordawin

3 Year Member
Hey.
I wanted to change out the water and clean the water dish of my tarantula B. vagans male nero.
I saw some worms swimming in the dish. It was very hard to get the dish out cause he was very aggressive but I didn't want to leave the worms in there any longer.
I usually wash the dish once per week.
What can those worms be and are they dangerous?
I have a few dark-winged fungus gnats in my terrarium but they are not dangerous to Ts.
Regards, Kevin

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gnats are usually a warning sign of other things to come ;) i'd be curious to see the worms also. If it were me i'd redo the enclosure, new substrate etc.

Vagansfordawin

3 Year Member
Hey.
I live in germany and I have gnats because i use potting soil but they usualy go away after some time. They are not a problem.
That is a reason why many people say you should not use potting soil but if you wait a bit they will go away on their own.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey.
I live in germany and I have gnats because i use potting soil but they usualy go away after some time. They are not a problem.
That is a reason why many people say you should not use potting soil but if you wait a bit they will go away on their own.

Agreed, first time potting soil dries out, the gnats are gone. I just stick a few bags in the garage bin, mix it and let dry. I like using it but I mix it with vermiculite and jungle mix. I love creating my own brand of dirt :p

Annabellam

3 Year Member
Well also curious to see the worms and the enclosure. I agree though i think it has to do with the soil mix.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey.

huh never heard that one before. potting soil usually has added fertilizers or plant food is why most say not to use it around here. That would explain the gnats i had before changing to just eco earth and peat moss.
Agreed, first time potting soil dries out, the gnats are gone. I just stick a few bags in the garage bin, mix it and let dry. I like using it but I mix it with vermiculite and jungle mix. I love creating my own brand of dirt :p
agreed. eco earth and peat moss is my preferred blend. good for the burrowers and light so the large enclosures don't weigh a ton.

Vagansfordawin

3 Year Member
Eco earth is the worst thing you can do to your Tarantula.
Peat could be even worse.
-_-. Fertilizer isn't bad for Tarantulas but i use potting soil without fertilizer. You can litteraly find hundreds and hundreds of threads to this in germany.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
-_-. Fertilizer isn't bad for Tarantulas but i use potting soil without fertilizer. You can litteraly find hundreds and hundreds of threads to this in germany.

It's on the internet so it has to be true right? :p

actually coco fiber is one of the best substrates. Mold resistant and good for the burrowing species. Peat moss is frowned on just because it's a non-renewable resource. But it's super light, and doesn't have any additives, which is why i switched from top soil to peat moss. so mixing the two i get the added mold resistance and the lightness for the larger enclosures.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Interesting. I'd like to read those.