• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food Hunting question

MCARBO

3 Year Member
I have read many places to leave crickets in the tank, just over night- and if they are not eaten by the next day then the T isn't interested and to remove them...

I dropped 2 Crickets in yesterday afternoon- T ate one right away, and now the following day there is 1 still around... my tank is pretty big, and there are lots of places for the Cricket to hide (artificial plants etc)
any harm in leaving the Cricket in for another night to see if T will want to hunt again...?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Our avic doesn't like to eat right away, and like you there are lots of places for crix to hide. Sometimes they have been left in the tank for quite awhile; I think the longest was about a week. If your T is in pre-moult I probably wouldn't risk it, and if you are putting female crickets in you may want to remove their ovipositor so they can't lay any eggs in the tank...but otherwise it won't really harm anything to leave it in.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A day or two won't hurt. You just don't want to leave an uneaten prey item in indefinitely. You could also just remove the cricket and try againg in a week. especially considering she already ate one.

Latest posts