• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food for avic avicularia

Carl

3 Year Member
Hi I've ordered large locust for my avic but she doesn't eat them, could it be the size of the locust or just that she don't like them. She happily pounces on flies and moths I give her. I would put a pic up but phone is crap and doesn't allow me

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How large is your avic? Maybe they are just to big for her? My biggest girl will only take a really large cricket if I hold it in the tongs for her till she's got it. My other slightly smaller one will attack anything you feed her regardless of size.

(My long tongs obviously, rubber tipped to protect her fangs)

Meludox

3 Year Member
Could be both, and T's can definitely be picky. She sounds small if she's eating flies and moths so she may be intimidated by the locust. Crickets are usually pretty universally liked, so you could try those or ****roaches or mealworms instead.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Kymura I love you......now I can introduce my Jurassic Park quote again....."she doesn't want to be fed, she wants to hunt" so put your rubber tipped tongs away hun ☺
@Carl I would have thought a locust unless a small hopper is too big for most Avics. Crickets of the appropriate size (no bigger than the abdomen) is usually the staple for all my spiders including my avics. Also if wild caught flies and moths, they may have picked up insecticides which can be harmful to your spider so I would genrally stick to shop bought and farmed crickets to be safe.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Kymura I love you......now I can introduce my Jurassic Park quote again....."she doesn't want to be fed, she wants to hunt" so put your rubber tipped tongs away hun ☺
@Carl I would have thought a locust unless a small hopper is too big for most Avics. Crickets of the appropriate size (no bigger than the abdomen) is usually the staple for all my spiders including my avics. Also if wild caught flies and moths, they may have picked up insecticides which can be harmful to your spider so I would genrally stick to shop bought and farmed crickets to be safe.
Phil honey, I do let all of them hunt,....but Urchin is special, she was so dehydrated when I got her that she literally death curled on me. (Stupid Petshops) Spent the night with her on her back in my hand and dribbled her water drop by drop, she's my baby...she hunts all but the big ones...and her mealworms....and sometimes dubia....
(LOL -hugs-)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Phil honey, I do let all of them hunt,....but Urchin is special, she was so dehydrated when I got her that she literally death curled on me. (Stupid Petshops) Spent the night with her on her back in my hand and dribbled her water drop by drop, she's my baby...she hunts all but the big ones...and her mealworms....and sometimes dubia....
(LOL -hugs-)
There is always the exceptional case and given the circumstances, Urchin is lucky to have you care for her as well as you do. Hugs to you, Urchin and your favourite rubber tipped tongs....LOL ☺

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've found not many of my Ts will eat prey bigger than their abdomens. The LP will, and the Nhandu now, everyone else will shy away from larger prey, even the GBBs. The A. geniculata will slap it away or attack and kill it but not eat if it's oversized. I bought a few large adult dubia at the lps last weekend and tried feeding one to the genic, he slapped it a few times, then killed it, then went and sulked on top of his water dish. Gave him an adult lateralis a few hours later and he tore it in half. Guess he was showing me you don't mess with him and his food ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The locust I had for her was slightly bigger than her abdomen.
It's all good long as she's eating. Drop a smaller hopper (cricket locust whatever) in there for her in a few days and see if she hunts it on her own. The one you gave her probably was just to large for her.
Give her time to get hungry first and leave it for a few hours to give her a chance to get it.

Latest posts