• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time keeper! Any tips or advice?

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
Hello!

I'm Shelly and I will be bringing home a tarantula *very* soon. I have everything set up, but I'm waiting to find tarantulas for sale in my area. Any tips or advice for a first time keeper?

Also, I live with three others and they're all terrified that my T will escape to visit them in their sleep. How do you keep your pets in their homes?

I'd appreciate anything you can tell me. Thanks!

- Shells

Atx13

3 Year Member
first off, welcome to the forums.
As for the escape issue, if your lid locks in place, there isn't really any issue with an escape.
Do you have any ideas on what Tarantula your looking to get, as your first?

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
first off, welcome to the forums.
As for the escape issue, if your lid locks in place, there isn't really any issue with an escape.
Do you have any ideas on what Tarantula your looking to get, as your first?

Thanks for the welcome! I'm going with a female Chilean Rose Hair. As it were, my lid isn't locking in place. The clips aren't working properly. Will weight alone do the trick? I also have a dog and two mischievous cats, so it won't be pretty if she gets out.

- S

Atx13

3 Year Member
I'd buy a new container... A medium or large size kritter keeper would be fine for a rose hair... As long as she has a water dish and a hide, she'll be fine...

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Heh, have your roomies chip in, or else they wake up with cricket heads in their beds! The "T-Father" will make them an offer they can't refuse!

Hey and welcome!

You guys might look into sweater boxes. They are uber cheap and work well. Depending on the specie a Kritter Keeper might work, but I only use those for desert types. Kenny has a great post about cheap husbandry options in the discussions.

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I just brought home my Chilean Rose Hair this morning. Her name is Daisy and she is so spunky. She won't leave the box I brought her home in. When I tried to transfer her, she struck the leave-me-alone-or-else pose. There were about two minutes when she explored her hide, which allowed me to get the picture of her, but that was it. Will she leave eventually or will I need to coax her out?

Also, I just want to say that when I showed her to the housemates...well, I have never seen a grown man run so fast. Ha-ha! She's only three inches right now. I can't wait until she gets bigger. Talk about leverage ;)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats! I'm sure Daisy will be wanting to take a tour of her new home soon enough :)

Latest posts