• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Tarantula species soon

Andee

3 Year Member
I plan (or hope) to pick up my first T's at the expo I am going to on the 19th. However I am aware they may not be there. Though I know some sellers who provide them online sometimes on occasion. My preferred species I want to work with, due to the difficulty etc. Is Grammostola Pulchra, but I will likely only be able to afford and even find slings. My question is, how do you keep this species as a sling? Do you keep them in small/shorter deli's until a certain size? I know what I want to keep them in generally once they reach sub adult size. I have figured the general sized enclosures for 2-3 inches as well. And adult size is easy for me. But slings are so delicate and these guys can hurt the pocket book just buying the T... so I would like to protect them just for the investment if nothing else. If I am honest I am one of those people who would do anything possible to protect the health and life of any insect I raise. But I am not afraid to ask for advice ^^

Andee

3 Year Member
I am hoping to get larger than .5 inch, hoping to get just under an inch, but definitely thanks for the link. I guess it kinda depends on the sizes available and prices etc, and then take it from there.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
personally i don't like using deli cups. My OCD requires square/rectangular enclosures ;) I've used amac boxes from the container store for all my slings from 1/4" dls to about 3" dls. then they get moved up to Dalle Craft enclosures or Kritter Keepers.

G. pulchra's loves to dig and rearrange their home. at least my 2 do anyway. One of mine is really territorial also, it won't let you fill or move it's water dish or any of the decorations in the enclosure. It's not aggressive, it will just jump onto whatever your moving and try and pull it away. So maybe it's more like my dog enjoying a game of tug of war huh? :)

The other one is a fraidy cat, bolts into it's hide at the slightest disturbance.

they're awesome eaters though, only turn down food at premolt.

amac boxes - https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-flush-lid-amac-boxes/d?productId=10028594&q=amac boxes

Just melt or drill small ventilation holes in the lid and you're set. I put holes around the sides also but they're not really needed unless you're keeping an arboreal in the tall ones.

Andee

3 Year Member
I plan on keeping my adult G. Pulchra in smaller sterilite enclosures, like around 18 quarts or so, maybe smaller. Or larger sweatr boxes that are deeper not sure yet. And I will fill most of the enclosure with burrowing substrate.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Andee

3 Year Member
I was going to do the clear ones (or as clear as they get XD lmao) doesn't make any sense to get dark ones with T's. How big are the one's you showed me? Like do you have any with a size reference? otherwise I kinda have to figure out the measurements

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G. pulchra grow to about 6 inches dls, 7 tops. So that largest Dalle Craft i linked is fine, it's almost 10" wide, 8" tall and 14" long. Plenty of room for an adult.

Andee

3 Year Member
That's not tall enough for what I have planned for them. Especially the females. I wouldn't go below the height of a 10 gallon and I prefer taller... there's a reason for it... but I am not sure I should explain until I test it out... >.< I don't want someone whose reading this who thinks I have kept them before to try it out without all the facts that I have and then fail and kill their T

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's not tall enough for what I have planned for them. Especially the females. I wouldn't go below the height of a 10 gallon and I prefer taller... there's a reason for it... but I am not sure I should explain until I test it out... >.< I don't want someone whose reading this who thinks I have kept them before to try it out without all the facts that I have and then fail and kill their T
that's a lot of substrate. you don't want any more height between the substrate and top than their full extended leg span, for terrestrial species, give or take an inch or 2. anything higher than could be deadly if they fall.

Andee

3 Year Member
I plan to do that for sure honestly. I am prepared to offer enough substrate to do so, and likely may add a safe way for them to burrow without worry of collapse. But I am pretty sure a 50/50 sand and eco earth mix that is just moist enough to hold a tunnel would work fine. The places they live see anything from 6-2 inches of rain all year round through out every month. And has relatively heavy humidity. All they need is decent air flow (huge with high humidity species of anything) and moist substrate and they should be able to have normal burrowing behaviors. G. Pulchra are a species that burrow hugely in the wild from the research I have done the last two months, and from what I know they can go 20 inches deep but are happy at 12 inches.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I plan to do that for sure honestly. I am prepared to offer enough substrate to do so, and likely may add a safe way for them to burrow without worry of collapse. But I am pretty sure a 50/50 sand and eco earth mix that is just moist enough to hold a tunnel would work fine. The places they live see anything from 6-2 inches of rain all year round through out every month. And has relatively heavy humidity. All they need is decent air flow (huge with high humidity species of anything) and moist substrate and they should be able to have normal burrowing behaviors. G. Pulchra are a species that burrow hugely in the wild from the research I have done the last two months, and from what I know they can go 20 inches deep but are happy at 12 inches.
that's what i use, 50/50 eco earth and peat cause it's light and holds together well. just damp enough to hold shape when you squeeze it, but not release any liquid. I use that for all my T's under 1.5 - 2" dls. Once the get that size they've developed the waterproof membrane in their exoskeleton, and the moist substrate isn't needed as much. Don't believe everything you read about humidity, care sheets are basically worthless. More stress and headache for the keeper than they are good for the T.

They're happy in any burrow till they hit about 2 inches dls, then they're out in the open more. Neither of mine use their burrows now, they'll use the hide sometimes but are usually out in the open. Especially my son's, it's quite active dragging it's water dish around. My pulchra used the water dish to block the burrow entrance last week, wasn't too happy when i moved it to refill it.

Both of mine as slings would burrow down an inch or 2 under their hides, they didn't dig any deeper than that like some of my others species who burrowed to the bottom of the enclosure and hollowed out a couple tunnels along the "floor". My B. albo's both moved much more dirt than my G. pulchras.

Andee

3 Year Member
It wasn't care sheets I have been researching on, I mean I read general basic care sheets for T's and Grammastola species and I have watched some vids etc. But I have been generally researching the area in Brazil they come from. So I can recreate their natural habitat. I will likely adjust as I figure out what makes the T act best. But what I want to do is mimic seasonal changes. And stress and headache is not something that is putting me off XD otherwise I would go with a much easier T breed in captivity. I am never looking for easy with the animals or inverts I keep

Andee

3 Year Member
So I just bought a pair of very nicely priced CB G. Pulchra slings. I talked to the breeder and was able to ask some of the questions I wanted as far possible ways to breed. Apparently weather and general temp drops are like I had planned and are needed. Apparently the reason they are not successfully bred often is because it is so complicated... but from what I understand it's not anymore complicated than Parson's chameleons or most of the more complicated species of montanes. In fact it's easier in my opinion, but we shall see when I have enough that are old enough to put it to practice etc XD. Don't count the chickens before hatching etc. XD I definitely enjoy things that challenge more than things that are easier to figure out immediately <3

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The pulchra is a gorgeous T!! I'd consider getting a very nice enclosure, specifically built for it. Even humble petstores have enclosures for small reptiles and inverts.

These have the advantage of being compatible with lamps, heating pads (stick to side only) and most of all escape proof lids!!!!

The expo will also have dozens of cages to choose from. Even a sling can be put into a nice looking setup so you can watch it grow, important to stop issues early.

Some claim you don't need high tech lamps etc, but I like to have that fine control over the environment. Slings are a bit more sensitive to humidity and benefit from temps in the low 80s to speed up growth and general activity.

It's not unusual to spend more on a cage then the T inside. I'd rather have a few that look great with fine control than a zillion stacked in shoeboxes like a factory farm, but that's strictly my opinion.

Last edited:

Andee

3 Year Member
I just recently bought two slings (a little over an inch) on I think thursday or something. They should be here on monday if all goes well. I have currently made some temporary enclosures, I have planned to update in a month or two if I can't find any good five gallon terrariums at the expo. I plan to buy 4-5 more later on, but two is currently fine. I have run a lot of my care by the breeder and my plans to cause breeding and sac dropping and he agrees with all I have thought out and plan to do. I of course am aware I will have to wait several years before these guys are close to breedable size, but I am in no rush and would rather go safe and slow. I plan to get heating for them so I can do proper temp drops when needed.

Here's the enclosures so far, not complicated but enough that they should feel comfortable and I should be able to observe when needed.
T enclosure top.jpg

T enclosure.jpg

I wanted good airflow because of the high humidity that will be kept. In my opinion as long as there is good airflow and air isn't stagnant they should be fine with higher humidity than most people do ^^ and I will keep the substrate damp below a dried top layer so they can bury if needed <3 The only thing I am worried about is it not being big enough. I will have to see when my two arrive. He showed me the exact ones he is sending and they look so much bigger than I expected. But they also may look bigger because it was a photo. No real size reference was for those two and he said he sent me two of his bigger slings and better eaters. <3

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That'll work, but you can't see the T. You want to make sure it's not going into premolt or if feeders are not being consumed.

Here are some wonderful enclosures, specially built for tarantulas.

http://www.tarantulacages.com/tarantulacare.html

This is my enclosure for my sling, C Versicolor. Unlike yours, it's arboreal. The cage is a bit large, but I have a good web and just drop feeders right in.

A smaller cage is also easier for a T to escape from and increases that temptation!!
Versicolor cage 1st 2.jpg

Andee

3 Year Member
So definitely want to go for a 5 gallon enclosure *frowns* I have one that will work of course, but I think otherwise I will have to wait for the expo to make for sure to get a good price. I don't think a ten gallon will work at all at this age, and I am not sure the other places I can find 5 gallon enclosure actually has mesh lids, not sure though? I will have to check around. I have some larger similar type... rubbermaids that I could use as well? I may just switch them over after a week, of letting them settle in to the new place. Really depends on how big they are and whether I can take out some of the foliage without much issue, I have extra foliage in there than I think is necessary but depending on the size it is necessary, otherwise if they are small enough I can just snip some off. Though yes.. I do think some climbing might become an issue... I will have to test the waters for sure, and have catch enclosures when changing things XD.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm keeping my L Klugi sling in a 3 gallon with about 4" of substrate. I moved my scorp to the new 5 gallon tank I purchased.

As long as they can find food and stay out of trouble, going a little large is ok.

My T in the 3 gallon basically stays inside of her skull all of the time, making the rest unimportant. I just drop crickets into the nasal cavity.
L Klugi rehouse2.jpg
L Klugi rehouse1ed.jpg

Plus rehousing gets to be stressful and expensive. In nature, they don't live in deli cups.

Latest posts