• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First scorpion?

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
So, I might be super lucky but through a hobby friend I met through some people on AB, I got in contact with one of his friends who keeps my favorite type of tarantula genus and so he put the two of us in touch and he is selling my 2nd fav species at an awesome price for the size.

So, for a cheaper than the average dealer (and even some AB members) I am getting a 1" Tapinauchenius violaceus..and he decides after I send him the order, that he wants to (and likes to sweeten) the deal so he offers me 3 choices, and after talking to him, it looks like my freebie with my purchase will likely be a Paravaejovis spinigerus. Its that or another of the same Tap. But its looking more like he's sending the scorpion.

Pardon me while I just grow an arachnid and co zoo.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Grats, just got into them myself. I'm liking scorps alot. Its also fun learning about new inverts. Its interesting that the big black scorps like Heterometrus and Pandinus are tropical, with keeping conditions very like Theraphosa sp. And that's what people are starting with..lmao, its very ironic. And may explain why scorps aren't as popular as spiders..I bet theres a lot of deaths due to noobs..sorry I'm rambling again..

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG
Meet Hanso. The Arizona stripetail. Sorry pics arent better...soon! (Stupid wicked old iPhone).

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Some slighly better pics of Hanso (does anyone get?! Haha..my boyfriend and I felt so very clever >_>)
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

@MassExodus Also, how would one be able to tell if a scorpion is unhappy with what he's got or sick etc? Also, any recommendations I add to his little home?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It looks good to me, but I'm certainly no expert yet. Give me two weeks :p I just learn by watching their behavior and reading up on them as much as possible, but I just started as well. He's a desert scorp so he should be fine on sand. I know a lot of keepers mix it with eco earth or sometimes excavator clay, but I don't think that's a requirement for this species.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Yeah, sand and sphagnum is what he has (as was told to me by the guy I got it from). I;m guessing the sphagnum is for water consumption? When I google the species, its just mostly about where to find them in Arizona haha. Not that helpful in captivity or like people on forums discussing what is cooler etc, not many care tips for this guy.

I was told straight sphagnum or a sand/sphagnum mix, but like I said I would guess thats for their moisture requirements (as in hydration). I was also told that they are really hardy, and he has never lost any out of the 130 he's had.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I asked the person I got it from, and they said that a little piece of bark or a type of hide wouldn't be a bad idea to give it some variety. On the topic of hide, I think I might have found my new collectors passion, I saw a picture of the cutest little scorpion, he looked kinda squished, like got stuck to something and managed to escape but left with repurcussion so I looked up habitat and care and now its next on my to get list. I want to get another desert scorp, but this one will be the Olive Keeled Flatrock aka Haudogenes paucidens.

I think once I move into the new place in June, I'm gonna get two bookshelves, one for the tarantulas and continue acquiring all Tapinauchenius species, but only them, they are my fav/must haves, and then another and start collecting scorps. I;m kinda finding scorps cooler actually. Taps and scorps.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I asked the person I got it from, and they said that a little piece of bark or a type of hide wouldn't be a bad idea to give it some variety. On the topic of hide, I think I might have found my new collectors passion, I saw a picture of the cutest little scorpion, he looked kinda squished, like got stuck to something and managed to escape but left with repurcussion so I looked up habitat and care and now its next on my to get list. I want to get another desert scorp, but this one will be the Olive Keeled Flatrock aka Haudogenes paucidens.

I think once I move into the new place in June, I'm gonna get two bookshelves, one for the tarantulas and continue acquiring all Tapinauchenius species, but only them, they are my fav/must haves, and then another and start collecting scorps. I;m kinda finding scorps cooler actually. Taps and scorps.
They are a refreshing change of pace, compared to tarantulas. Especially the parthenogenic ones, I'm still fascinated by that. Then theres so many other bugs...have you seen the devils flower mantis?! My god, I must have one..:D Still love my spiders, it's just nice to have some variety.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I have not seen that mantis but will have to look it up, I think I'm being more enchanted by scorps than Ts at this moment. I love my current ones, and I still want all the Taps but I don't really care about most of the rest of them where all scorps are super fascinating but that could be because I only just got into them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have not seen that mantis but will have to look it up, I think I'm being more enchanted by scorps than Ts at this moment. I love my current ones, and I still want all the Taps but I don't really care about most of the rest of them where all scorps are super fascinating but that could be because I only just got into them.
Sure, that's probably part of it. I just keep my Phormictopus on my desk, to remind me of my first love :)

Latest posts