• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First OBT Advice Please.

smudger

3 Year Member
Hi all
I have just purchased my first OBT, and I think she is amazing. She is about 3 inches. As soon as I put her into her new home she immediately went into the burrow and webbed the entrance. Is this normal?. Is 10"x4"x6" the enclosure too small?

Attachments

• Photo061.jpg
    Photo061.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 101

Thistles

3 Year Member
Totally normal. They settle in very quickly and love to web. I would suggest a taller/deeper enclosure. These guys like to burrow, and a deeper area to burrow means they're less likely to pop out when you try to do maintenance. They also like it pretty dry.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I got my OBT 2 years ago (she was my 1st T) when she was just a fraction smaller than yours and I put her into a 12"Wx12"Dx18"H ExoTerra which has saved me from having to rehouse her. She has never burrowed but made a web at the top corner and then a web tunnel down the back corner. She lived in that for quite a while and then constructed a cave at the bottom made of web and substrate. Now she just enlarges the cave as necessary. I rarely see her but when she chooses to appear she is a beautiful sight and uses the full height of her enclosure. Every few months she'll clean out the rubbish from her cave and leave it for me to clear away. I always do maintenance while she's hidden away keeping one eye on her doorway and I always use a pair of long tongs to remove debris.

Get yours into a bigger container and always remember that they are fast and have a bad reputation and you'll be fine.

timc

3 Year Member
The best advice for an OBT as with all tarantulas is to just give them the respect they deserve. These suckers are fast and have an attitude to match. Just be aware and take precautions for you and the spider. Here's a little trick for rehousing; cut a two liter soda bottle in half. Once you get the spider out of the enclosure (easier said than done) pop the soda bottle on top of it and slide a paper plate underneath. They'll usually climb up at this point. Then place to open bottom of the bottle in the new enclosure. Then you can unscrew the cap to gently coax the spider into her new home. Works like a charm.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Screw that. I just upend the smaller enclosure into the bigger enclosure, then slam the lid down. Last time an orange leg slid under the lid and gave me the finger. Its hard to do it fast when you're holding a .357 in your hand, though, so its best to have a friend standing by with a shotgun.
Good grief, that was hilarious!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:D The truth is, I did have a hilarious escapade during one of my obts rehousing, and it was the one and only time I've gotten a threat pose from either of mine. I love the little spazzes, and they're beautiful, but I literally never see them.
Which is why I want a T gigas instead. I keep hoping to find an affordable sling. So if anyone sees them extremely reasonable tag me please. :p I think they are gorgeous but I want to see them more then on the red moon.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Which is why I want a T gigas instead. I keep hoping to find an affordable sling. So if anyone sees them extremely reasonable tag me please. :p I think they are gorgeous but I want to see them more then on the red moon.

That was why I bought my T.gigas but he's turned out to be male and gone brown instead of orange.

Allison

3 Year Member

My T gigas is a bad little SOB that jumped right of the tissue it was shipped in and landed on my bed in front of me.... And what did I do? Backhanded him to the floor... instant (bad) reaction. Thankfully he was ok! Picked him up and put him in his sling enclosure. Later that night, I decided he was to big for the sling enclosure and rehoused him. Little **** jumped on my bed AGAIN. I placed his new enclosure in front of him and he calmly walked right in. He's doing great now and is webbing all over the place. I'm not used to fast moving T's. My rosea is so laid back and S-L-O-W!!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My psalmos are pretty quick when they want to be lol I house them a little large to avoid this kind of thing. Just have to find one I can afford for July.

Allison

3 Year Member
Taps are known for being among the fastest, if not the fastest, tarantulas out there. I'm glad your little gigas is okay and didn't make a break for it!

Thankfully he didn't run.... Just jumped. Way too fast for me. But so far he's behaved perfectly when I've opened his lid to feed him. I keep expecting him to make a break for it but he seems very calm now.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
If ur not used to their speed and aggression i would suggest putting it in a large enough enclosure so it can go many molts without a rehouse. That way u can still do routine maintinence and watch mannerisms, but not have the danger until prepared. That way also, it has the space to web til its content

Latest posts