• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

first loss !!!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs
A lot of people do use roaches as staple but that dosent mean they are Wright to do so, they are exallent feeders but they are to rich to feed to often, & can lead to health problems in the long run. But this I just
IMO !!!
Is there a link you provide that can back this up? I have never once heard of roaches causing health problems. Perhaps for a reptile or amphibian, but it's unlikely for an invertebrate.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@Chubbs
i dont have a link to share with u sorry !!!
if u feed reptiles/amphibians roaches to often they get gout !!! the roaches are to rich in nutrients for there systems to handle regularly, this is why they need a balanced diet to stay in good health, now weather this would directly affect inverts the same way i do not no !!!
how ever i do no that over feeding Ts is not a good thing & this is exactly what u do when u feed rich/fatty feeders constanlly. (dubia/morio)
Ts in there natural habbitat have a varied diet made up of moths/cricket/frogs/mice/roach/worms ect, (depending whats avalible to them at the time !!!)
this is what we as hobbiests should be trying to repulcate this at home to the best of our ability.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs
if u feed reptiles/amphibians roaches to often they get gout !!! the roaches are to rich in nutrients for there systems to handle regularly, this is why they need a balanced diet to stay in good health, now weather this would directly affect inverts the same way i do not no !!!
how ever i do no that over feeding Ts is not a good thing & this is exactly what u do when u feed rich/fatty feeders constanlly. (dubia/morio)
Ts in there natural habbitat have a varied diet made up of moths/cricket/frogs/mice/roach/worms ect, (depending whats avalible to them at the time !!!)
this is what we as hobbiests should be trying to repulcate this at home to the best of our ability.
That's not bad unless you feed them more than they need. Even then, most tarantulas will stop eating after a certain point.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs
That's weird, I've been doing it for four years and haven't had a problem. I've never had a bad molt, my tarantulas are healthy, all 35 of them..on just dubias and supers..so I think I'll stick with it.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs
its just IMO !!!
i like to feed a good variety of feeders, but others do it difrently & theres nothing wrong with it !!! (but there is all ways room for improvement ;))

@MassExodus
if it works for u then thats the best way :)
Hey I'm fine with you having your opinion. But the way you worded it made it seem as if you were stating a fact. You even went as far as to say it can cause health problems later on. That doesn't sound like someone simply stating their opinion. Not trying to be trivial here and start arguments, I'm just saying that it helps to word things a certain way, that way people will understand your intention better.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@Chubbs
not this again :rolleyes:
i was not trying to be funny or aragont with u !!! i just meant my posts are all just imo !!! (nothing else )
as for ( but i will try to frase it a bit better from now on) well im not quite shure how u have taken that but again it was not meant to offend u !!!

P.S im not here to argue or offend any one !!! i only want to share & learn with others in the hobby :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One thing I have learnt in my relatively short time keeping Ts but the much longer time keeping and breeding snakes is that you have to be open to new ideas. There is always something new to learn about these wonderful creatures and always will be therefore no-one can be an expert. Yes, experience counts for an awful lot but as new things are learnt about them then people need to be prepared to take on suggestions from others regarding their care.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs
not this again :rolleyes:
i was not trying to be funny or aragont with u !!! i just meant my posts are all just imo !!! (nothing else )
as for ( but i will try to frase it a bit better from now on) well im not quite shure how u have taken that but again it was not meant to offend u !!!

P.S im not here to argue or offend any one !!! i only want to share & learn with others in the hobby :D
Lol I never thought you were trying to be funny or arrogant. Nor did I ever take offense to your post. All I said was I'm fine with you having an opinion.

Latest posts