• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

first loss !!!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If we're talking about grain mites, you're always going to have some of them. As long as they don't get out of hand, it's usually nothing to worry about.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@Charlotte
i dont think there is a best way to prevent mites !!! as most T keepers will probaly have them at some point due to the
fact u have to feed live insects.
here are a few ways to help keep might free
1, removeing any uneaten feeders from your enclosures
2, get a clean up crew (for high hummidty spices)
3, keep the substrate dry (for lower hummidty spices)
4, dont feed your Ts from a box of feeders that have dead ones in. (mites come from dead & decaying feeder insects)

spidey noob

3 Year Member
ha all, the bottom viv & my 10 scorps are all clear of mites :D:D:D i wont go as far to say its all sorted out yet but its looking good !!!
due to all the hassle iv had & the 3 losses i thought i would treat my self to some new slings (i deserve them) so i have orderd
4 x Avicularia sp. "Kwitara" 1cm/2cm & they should be here tuesday !!!

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all, things were looking good for a few days but i have been seeing these things in & out side of the enclosures, i have been removeing them but im not quite shure what they are :confused: (im presumeing mite eggs) any one got an ideas ???

Charlotte

3 Year Member
They could be mite eggs but I thought mite eggs were more clear, I could be wrong. I'm sorry you've still got this problem, what a pain in the toushy!

spidey noob

3 Year Member
i think i have solved the problem !!!
i found some mites just before & i managed to get a good pick of them (i feel a bit silly now)

so it looks like i had the first type of mites at one point but i must of got rid of them, :confused: & now have a second type of mites in the enclosures with are not harmfull :confused: (WTF ???) i dont get this at all

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@Charlotte
Spring tails are naturally occurring in more humid enclosures, I'm not shure how I didn't wipe them out !!! but I'm not botherd as they can be beneficial
(eat dead feeders/mould/ect) as long as there all that's in there I'm very happy :)

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all, yet another loss :mad: (a,versi thats 3 of them now) only tong feed it yesterday looked fine !!! & this morning its gone :(
wtf is going on with my versi ??? :confused:

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh no, so sorry for you :(. Is it maybe a microscopic internal parasite, as in not visible for the human eye? I really don't know what else you could do, as you've tried everything.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
hi all, yet another loss :mad: (a,versi thats 3 of them now) only tong feed it yesterday looked fine !!! & this morning its gone :(
wtf is going on with my versi ??? :confused:
Wow! What a shame. Sorry about your losses. [emoji20] I don't know what to say or even suggest at this point. Hang in there its got to get better.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
thanks all ;)
i left the vivs in total darkness while i was at work then looked in with a flash light & suprise suprise the mites are back :mad::mad::mad: so it seems i have spring tails & a other unknown species !!! (look like these but tiny & they move fast)

just wish i new why there targeting my versi colour, not haveing a problem with the other species that are in the same viv !!!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unfortunately mites always pose a problem when it's necessary to wet the substrate and/or surrounding areas. The best cure is to find some armadillidiiae (or more commonly known as pill bugs, roly polies, etc.) and throw a couple in. They eat the mites and don't bother Ts. You can also cultivate them, and depending on where you live, they are plentiful during the non-frozen months,

Really? Those isopods can help in mite infestations? We have a lot of pill bugs in our place, you can find them under fallen trees in the ground. I here that they are good with molds too. Thanks for this info.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry for your loss @spidey noob, it must be totally frustrating right now. I do sure wish that we can come up with the root cause of it all though. :(

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@Enn49
that is very possible !!!

@RedCapTrio
there annoying as f**k :mad: to be honnest !!!

so im in the middle of manualy demiteing the avics again :( (its a night mare) the enclosures now have bone dry substrate (microwaved it for 5 minutes to dry it) & the pots have been boil washed again hope fully i havent missed any mites on the Ts, & i have also put a thick line of vaseline round the bottom of each tub so the mites will get stuck if they enter/leave the enclosure.

going to repeat with all enclosures & im going to dissmantle both vivs to check in the seams. (& bleach all surfaces again) this may take a few days to get done ;)

Latest posts