• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Finally conquered my snake phobia. :)

halcyon

3 Year Member
I finally conquered my snake fear and got my first snake. He's a September 2015 albino tiger Western Hognose named Renegade (the Danger Noodle). I'm pretty sure he's the sweetest little hog ever, but maybe I'm just biased. He's yet to hiss or bluff, and apparently thinks my fingers, particularly my thumb, make the perfect place to scope out the room and satisfy his curiosity.

He's my first snake, but not my first reptile. My first reptile was a Chinese Water Dragon (Khan) that my ex-fiancé surprised me with. That was definitely a learning adventure, but I became hooked on reptiles. I lost Khan when me and the ex went our separate ways, but I picked up a leopard gecko this past July and rediscovered my love of reptiles. :) Tohki is now six months old and I've dubbed him the Devil in Scales. He is one massively spoiled gecko for sure. A friend dragged me to a reptile show in October. He made me hold a jungle carpet python, a rock iguana that thought she was a puppy, and then I (sort of unwillingly) held my first hognose. It played dead in my hand, and suddenly, it was over. I knew I wanted a little drama queen of my own. So I came home and did extensive research and decided a Western Hognose was the perfect snake for me, so after four months of searching and a month of adjusting/setting up a tank, I finally found a breeder and here we are. Hah. He's currently still adjusting to his new tank, but so far, no issues. He's docile, curious, and super friendly. I think we both were a bit scared of each other when I opened the box. (I had read so many people's accounts of their hoggies putting on a massive show and playing dead when they first unboxed them.) But I opened the lid and stuck my hand beside the container and out he crawled, like he knew he belonged there. Bam! Goodbye any leftover fears I had. He won me over with his ruby red eyes and puppy dog face.

TL;DR? I used to be terrified of snakes. Went to a reptile show, had a few kind of forced in my hand, fell in love with a Western Hognose. Now I own one. :) I'll post pictures shortly if anyone wants to see him.

halcyon

3 Year Member
Will do as soon as I get on my computer! I synced my phone and it deleted all pictures after I added them to my computer.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:cool: iPhone ? One of the worst things about my phone, is just that, soon as contracts up I'm getting an android lol :rolleyes:

halcyon

3 Year Member
Here's a few pictures of the Danger Noodle, Renegade. :) Ah, yes, I have an iPhone. I adore them, really, but sometimes, I dislike some of the features. Deleting everything, making music available offline, and Siri are the most annoying things I can think of at the moment. But the WiFi calling is a perk I enjoy, along with the iMessage. If Android offered me that, I could be bothered to switch back...maybe. :p

Attachments

• IMG_1649.JPG
    IMG_1649.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1650.JPG
    IMG_1650.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1651.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1656.JPG
    IMG_1656.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    565.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1667.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 21

halcyon

3 Year Member
Thanks! It was either a Kenyan sand boa or a western hognose. The hognose won me over because they're such little drama queens. :) He's been amazing so far. He hasn't bluffed or hissed or mock struck yet. He's been a super sweetheart and he's very curious.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hognoses are the most adorable snakes, I used to breed them it was so funny to watch the tiny ones huffing, striking and playing dead.

Latest posts