• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

female black widow toxicity

Lee Sanchez

3 Year Member
My brother and two others got bit by black widows and they said it was painful for a day or two and they felt like being on lsd a bit. None of them went for any medical treatment at all. No idea what they did to get bit. I don't think they would bite you unless you accidentally stepped on one or touched them in a way they couldn't run. Our backyard is filled with these and never have problems with them at all. We don't spray at all here. I'd bet bug spray is more dangerous. The recluse on the other hand turned another friends side of his back black and had pretty gnarly medical treatment for a long time. He had a huge hole in his back and had to fill it with gauze and change it a lot. The swelling was huge and disgusting. From what I saw I would rather be shot than be bit by those. We aren't even supposed to have that type here in California but one was found in my friends back pack when came home from camping too. Brown recluse is the fiddle back correct? The type we supposedly only had here wasn't dangerous but I guess they invited there cousins over to stay.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, Fiddleback is a common name of the Loxosceles reclusa or Brown Recluse. Regarding your friends survival of the widow bite, is there are many factors that play into effect on whether a human dies or survives a widow bite. Most deaths have occured with infants, older and sick people whose resistance to poisons may be compromised for other reasons. It also has to do with how much venom was released during the bite. Regardless, one should seek immediate treatment if bit. Here is a map of where most native widows species can be found:
usmap.png

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
map needs to be updated, they're found as far up as central Montana, and into the Idaho panhandle :) We even have brown recluse up here, which all the experts say can't happen because of our climate.... lol

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
map needs to be updated, they're found as far up as central Montana, and into the Idaho panhandle :) We even have brown recluse up here, which all the experts say can't happen because of our climate.... lol
I don't disagree. Had to find a map with as much geographical coverage and this one did the trick. I know widows are in Northern Illinois too. And what is with Mississippi? What is their secret?

Latest posts