• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding time

Samantha895

3 Year Member
Just a fun question on T feeding. What makes it so much fun to watch for everyone? I personally enjoy the acrobatic abilities some display and the excitement of it all. Not to mention getting to see my babies eat :D

Attachments

• IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    970.5 KB · Views: 13

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I'd have to say the same for myself, it's nuts the way they can twist and contort to make sure they're prey doesn't get away. All their little legs flailing away like arms trying to scoop everything up as quick as they can, and to see that they are healthy,active and thriving is always a plus.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding time was what sucked me into the hobby. The savagery catching the prey, even as tiny slings, is amazing to watch. Also the way they create the bolus is fascinating to me. Munch on the roach, use their palps to start rolling it into a ball, drop it after a bit and web it, then pick it up and continue eating and rolling it up.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My LP once gathered 6-7 crickets up, rolled them all into a ball and sat and chomped his way through it. One of the Ts that makes me laugh every feed is my Phormictopus sp. full green who leaps into air as I drop food in and grabs as many crickets as it can before they hit the ground.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My LP once gathered 6-7 crickets up, rolled them all into a ball and sat and chomped his way through it. One of the Ts that makes me laugh every feed is my Phormictopus sp. full green who leaps into air as I drop food in and grabs as many crickets as it can before they hit the ground.
Sounds like my LP, he'll jump on the tongs and slide down taking the roach with him, then does his happy dance like he's saying Thanks!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like the swift, sure strikes. My campbridgei come to mind. They're not in site. I drop a roach, and they are out, grab it, and are back behind the cork before I can blink. The efficiency they display is extremely impressive. They've also become quite bold, showing themselves in the sunlight coming through my window sometimes. One of my recent top 5 species :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The thrill of the crunch. it almost makes me feel bad for the unsuspecting prey, but my A. Geniculata gives it a quick and painful death.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my 2 A. seemanni are like that. We call them our wannabe trap door spiders :)