• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding my curly

Star8527

3 Year Member
i have had my sling for a few weeks now and he has been eating pin head roaches. He has grown and I am going to move him up to a lil larger roach. I don't like crickets they are noisy stink and they die. Can I just feed him roaches instead of crickets? Also where is the best place to buy them from?

AceTRetreat

3 Year Member
I feed mine Dubia Roaches ... whole if small enough .. or parts if too big along with parts of mealworms and superworms.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
in short the answer is NO !!! (Ts like all animals need a mixed diet !!!)
alough roaches are very convient feeders they are not the best staple feeder there just to rich, crickets/locusts are the best staple feeders, with roachs/mario worms among the best treats
i hate crickets with a passion, (there horrible stinky things) i think there the only real down side to keeping Ts :)
personaly i do it this way
feed 1, crickets (buy / feed / bin whats left)
feed 2, roach (keep a small colany)
feed 3, mealworm / mario
this way i only have to deal with crickets for a very short time every 3rd week !!! (it is a bit waste full but i dont care)

P.S had to edit this as i accidently posted before i finished wrighting.

Last edited:

Tarzan152

3 Year Member
in short the answer is NO !!! (Ts like all animals need a mixed diet !!!)
alough roaches are very convient feeders they are not the best staple feeder there just to rich, crickets/locusts are the best staple feeders, with roachs/mario worms among the best treats
i hate crickets with a passion, (there horrible stinky things) i think there the only real down side to keeping Ts :)
personaly i do it this way
feed 1, crickets (buy / feed / bin whats left)
feed 2, roach (keep a small colany)
feed 3, mealworm / mario
this way i only have to deal with crickets for a very short time every 3rd week !!! (it is a bit waste full but i dont care)

P.S had to edit this as i accidently posted before i finished wrighting.

Come to think of it, I need to follow this feeding schedule or something like it. I cant stand crickets and I've been alternating between superworms and dubai roaches. I have small colonies of both. Super easy to care for them. To give my T a true mixed diet, I guess I have to include crickets at some point.

So, in short, I agree with Spidey Noob. You gotta mix it up..

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It depends on the tarantula. Not all individuals will accept roaches.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not sure where the OP is located. Locusts are only available in Europe as far as I know.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In this part of the world, we have grasshoppers. ;) The green locusts that are big and can really kick (got to remove their hind legs) are seasonal.

Are baby lizards, newts good for Ts? How about those really small, brown and slimey tree frogs? :eek:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In this part of the world, we have grasshoppers. ;) The green locusts that are big and can really kick (got to remove their hind legs) are seasonal.

Are baby lizards, newts good for Ts? How about those really small, brown and slimey tree frogs? :eek:
Many tree frogs are toxic. Don't feed wild caught prey to your tarantula.

Latest posts