• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Feeders

James Wallace Jr

3 Year Member
is there anything you shouldn't feed dubias to feed to your Ts. I have some bearded dragon food that I crush up and feed. I read that dog food wasn't too good for some reason

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
high protein foods aren't good. the roaches turn excess protein into acids that may be harmful to the animals that eat them. Don't use calcium dust, it slows down the creation of chitin, which is what a T's exoskeleton is made of.

I use puppy chow for my dubia and lateralis roaches, or fish food, like goldfish flakes. add veggies to that once or twice a week depending how fast they're eating. No tomatoes or potatoes or that family, they're nightshades and are poisonous to animals.

jackys

3 Year Member
high protein foods aren't good. the roaches turn excess protein into acids that may be harmful to the animals that eat them.

Slight hijacking from the topic of dubias: is this also true of crickets? I know cat food is higher protein compared to dog food, and I've been giving my crickets dry cat food + oats + veggies or fruit.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Slight hijacking from the topic of dubias: is this also true of crickets? I know cat food is higher protein compared to dog food, and I've been giving my crickets dry cat food + oats + veggies or fruit.
yep, true for all prey insects.

Latest posts