• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeder staples?

Noobmatus

3 Year Member
I was wondering if someone could give me a short list of staple feeders so far I've been feeding my slings mainly meal and superworms but I've been reading that they may not be the best nutrition wise

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was wondering if someone could give me a short list of staple feeders so far I've been feeding my slings mainly meal and superworms but I've been reading that they may not be the best nutrition wise
I've raised a lot of spiders out of sling stage on superworms alone. Cut up for tiny ones, crushed head for larger slings/ young juvies. All I feed my tarantulas are dubia, lateralis, and superworms, its worked out very well, all my spiders from slings to adults are fat and healthy. Everyone has their own opinions on feeders, but if you have a large collection a roach colony is a blessing sent from heaven. Easy to start and maintain, nothing but a benefit really, even a small colony for a small collection is a great thing to have, and if you get too many? Easy to package and ship for sale or trade. Roaches are the best feeder available, in my opinion, bar none. And you might even find it interesting, raising and keeping a colony going. Many of us do, and end up keeping pet species :) In case you were wondering, yes I'm the forum roach lobbyist :D

Noobmatus

3 Year Member
I had planned on switching to dubia in the future but.I figured while there still slings the worms would be easier to deal with, only having two Ts at the moment a colony would probably be a bit of overkill lol though most the Ts I'm looking into are on the medium to large side so that maybe something to look into in the future

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have always used Pinhead crickets. But sounds like I am lucky to have access to them? Wingless fruit flies work too but can be a pain to deal with.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I went old school on mealworms and keep a small colony going, simple good old quaker oats and some organic carrots or potatoes for some moisture, get all sizes this way and lots of tiny baby worms for my little slings, figured T's survived for years in captivity on just them and mine are molting and active so it must be ok ^^

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just use small crickets prekilled for my slings. they will eat a cricket as large as them if it is dead. That how i get mine big enough to kill their own food. :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
crickets are the devil...
mhm crickets
5aUqhmA.gif
hate them.

Noobmatus

3 Year Member
I have always used Pinhead crickets. But sounds like I am lucky to have access to them? Wingless fruit flies work too but can be a pain to deal with.
True pin heads are hard to come by around here but both of my Ts are large enough to take down small to medium crickets but I just have always had a hard time with them

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I dont know i use them more than any other prey, havent had any trouble with them. I know they are hard to keep alive but my spiders are hogs and the crickets usually perish in their jaws not in waiting. They r in another room so i dont hear any chirping. and whoever is chirping gets eaten first. lol. I have used them for years. since i was a kid with my little anole lizards. perhaps i immune to their cons....

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hear banded crickets are tougher and live a lot longer. Never tried them bit I've considered getting a few and raising a small colony, just to see for myself. I'm just too satisfied with dubia and superworms I guess. And lateralis now. Another awesome feeder. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same about Eublaberus species ivory :D
You got to get down wit da roachlife, E

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In my opinion H. Lateralis roaches are way better than dubia. They don't burrow, and they're fast, running all over the place drawing attention to themselves. All of my T's eat them. Only 1 of my Ts so far will eat the dubia. I did order a few of the small dubia nymphs to give them another shot with my new tiny slings. We'll see how they go.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In my opinion H. Lateralis roaches are way better than dubia. They don't burrow, and they're fast, running all over the place drawing attention to themselves. All of my T's eat them. Only 1 of my Ts so far will eat the dubia. I did order a few of the small dubia nymphs to give them another shot with my new tiny slings. We'll see how they go.
I thought i read that H. Lateralis roaches can infest ur house if they get loose though...or am i mistaken?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hear banded crickets are tougher and live a lot longer. Never tried them bit I've considered getting a few and raising a small colony, just to see for myself. I'm just too satisfied with dubia and superworms I guess. And lateralis now. Another awesome feeder. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same about Eublaberus species ivory :D
You got to get down wit da roachlife, E
Yeah i know Mass. I am going to here soon. But i think im more interested in them as pets. but i guess if i get some nymphs running around they can be food too. ::)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought i read that H. Lateralis roaches can infest ur house if they get loose though...or am i mistaken?
They can. I goofed and left the corner of one of hte egg flats almost touching the top of the enclosure, so far I've found 2 roaches running around and my son has found one. Good thing about our climate here is it's too dry and cool for them to breed proficiently. If they can breed, with out a moisture source the egg casings will more than likely dry out. But that would be a worry if an adult got free, the ones I've seen that are small enough to get through the vent holes are barely 1/4" so it will be a good 6 months before they reach maturity, if they even survive, or we're lucky enough to catch them all and return the escapees ;)

Then again it would also depend if the few that escaped were a male/female mix. if they're all males nothing to worry about ;) if they're all females same goes.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They can. I goofed and left the corner of one of hte egg flats almost touching the top of the enclosure, so far I've found 2 roaches running around and my son has found one. Good thing about our climate here is it's too dry and cool for them to breed proficiently. If they can breed, with out a moisture source the egg casings will more than likely dry out. But that would be a worry if an adult got free, the ones I've seen that are small enough to get through the vent holes are barely 1/4" so it will be a good 6 months before they reach maturity, if they even survive, or we're lucky enough to catch them all and return the escapees ;)

Then again it would also depend if the few that escaped were a male/female mix. if they're all males nothing to worry about ;) if they're all females same goes.
They thrive in the southern part of the US, from Cali to Florida, and all southern points in between. And these guys are breeding like crazy..there's gotta be 300 new tiny nymphs in there since I started the colony. To be honest, after using strictly lateralis tonight for feeding day, I'm about ready to sell the fast little jumping buggers. They're screwing up my chi. Feeding time is supposed to be relaxing, enjoyable, like sitting in a Jacuzzi. Not a frustrating exercise in bug torture ending with guts and lateralis ass everywhere from trying to grab them with forceps out of the feed cup. Dubia are so much easier to deal with..pinch the edge of the slow moving shell, drop it in. Simplicity. The lats aren't worth the trouble to me...and the way they breed, I can see very well how they would become a pest species. Since populations of these have been found all over down here, I'm going to release mine into the wild, in a vacant lot down the road a ways, right next to my girlfriend's mom's house. They'll have a chance at a good life that way ;)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup! aint to way im taking a chance with roaches that can infest the house! ill stick to the ones that cant.