• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Favorite Recipes

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thought it would be fun, since we have members from around the world, for people to post their favorite recipes, and because i love to cook i'm always looking for new dishes to try.

Here's one to start that I love :) It's addictive and very filling, one of those dishes you pop the button on your jeans and unzip them half way before eating.

Grown up Mac N Cheese

Ingredients

• 16 oz Elbow Macaroni noodles
  • Italian flavored bread crumbs
  • 12 oz bacon
  • 16 oz Velveeta Jalapeno cheese
  • 8 oz Mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 8 oz Colby Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1.5 cup milk (360 mil)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder or 4 fresh cloves
  • 1 tsp Cayenne pepper powder
  • 1 tsp Dried Oregano or 1 Tbsp fresh Oregano
  • 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 F ( 190 C )

Lightly coat the cake pan with non-stick spray, or use a non-stick pan.

Cook the bacon so it's medium rare, it will cook more in the oven. then chop the bacon into small pieces.

Add water per the macaroni noodle package instructions to a large pot. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp Olive oil to the water, bring to boil and add the noodles. Cook the noodles half the time as instructed on the package, fully cooked noodles will be overcooked when put in the oven.

While the water is waiting to boil, cut the Velveeta into small cubes so it melts faster. Then in a sauce pan on medium heat add the milk, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, and the cubed Velveeta. Stir often to keep the mixture from scalding. Once the Velveeta is mostly melted add 4 oz of both the Cheddar and Colby Jack cheese, the remaining seasonings (paprika, garlic, etc.) and half of the chopped bacon. Stir the mixture so all the seasonings are spread evenly throughout. Cook this mixture until all the cheese has melted, the mixture should be somewhat thick and creamy, not runny.

By this time the noodles should be done cooking. Turn the burner off, drain the noodles, do not rinse, then return them to the large pot. Put the noodles and pot on the hot burner and add the cheese mixture. The residual heat from the cooling burner will help keep the cheese mixture from firming up. Fold in the noodles to the cheese mixture. Try not to over stir and break the noodles.

Pour the mixture into the cake pan, spread evenly. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the cheese and noodle mix, so there's a thin layer over it all, you'll want to be able to see the noodles and cheese through the breadcrumb layer. Sprinkle the remaining bacon evenly over the breadcrumbs, then top with the remaining cheese.

Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. remove from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes for the cheese to firm up inside a bit, then serve.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, I am going to love this thread, my favorite recipe is my poison salsa verde (extremely hot), but I will not divulge my secrets no matter how many times Casey K tries to convince me.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of our favourites is Smothered Pork Steaks. This recipe came from Annie Ross (the jazz singer) collected on her travels.

Ingredients:-
4 Pork steaks, trimmed of fat if you want and I slice them at an angle to make them thinner.
Plain flour
1 tbsp. paprika
1-2 oz butter
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 pint milk
Tabasco, to taste.

Directions:-
Put the flour, salt and paprika in a food bag or sealed box, add the pork and give it all a shake to coat the pork thoroughly. Leave to soak up flavours for a couple of hours.
Melt the butter in a fry pan. Add the pork and fry until golden then remove from the pan and set aside. Now add milk to the fry pan along with Tabasco, as much as you like depending on how hot you like it. Bring to the boil stirring regularly (at this point don't worry if it appears to curdle that's what creates the sauce) and then add the pork. Turn down the heat, cover the pan and allow to simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 40-50 minutes.
Serve with potatoes, either new or mash, and We like cauliflower with it too.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Oh I can't avoid this.. I love the turkey I make everything thanksgiving.. I seen Emeril Lagasse (spellings prolly wrong) do it and I tried it and every thanksgiving now not only family and friends show up but neighbors as well lol.. really easy to make just need the prep time.. take very large stock pot and fill it with water, brown sugar (a lot... atleast a pound trust me on this), salt, orange cut in ½ and same with a lemon.. let it soak in the fridge overnight fully submerged and when you get it out rinse it and rub butter everywhere you can imagine and bake it as normal but every hour get it out and pour chicken stock over it and you'll never eat another dry turkey :D

LadyFang618

3 Year Member
Oh I can't avoid this.. I love the turkey I make everything thanksgiving.. I seen Emeril Lagasse (spellings prolly wrong) do it and I tried it and every thanksgiving now not only family and friends show up but neighbors as well lol.. really easy to make just need the prep time.. take very large stock pot and fill it with water, brown sugar (a lot... atleast a pound trust me on this), salt, orange cut in ½ and same with a lemon.. let it soak in the fridge overnight fully submerged and when you get it out rinse it and rub butter everywhere you can imagine and bake it as normal but every hour get it out and pour chicken stock over it and you'll never eat another dry turkey :D
My aunt does this but she does different stuff in her stock... it's called BRINING. Same thing u do with chicken if u want it to keep its juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyFang618

3 Year Member
Mexican Spaghetti Squash
Me abuela taught me how to make it when I was pregnant with my son cuz I craved tomatoes and squash the whole time.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 large spaghetti squash (after roasting should yield 2 1/2 cups of spaghetti squash)
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup canned roasted garlic and onion diced tomatoes
1/2 cup black beans
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese

HOW TO COOK:
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Drizzle olive oil over squash; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes or until you can pierce the squash easily with a fork.
Use a fork to gently remove the "spaghetti" strands from the inside of the squash. Try to retain the shape of the skin because you will be putting the squash back in. You should have about 2 1/2 cups of squash. Transfer to a medium bowl.
Add diced tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, cumin, and salt to the squash. Toss until combined. Transfer squash mixture back to skin and sprinkle with cheese. Place back in the oven until the cheese is melted and the mixture is hot, about 15 minutes.
Then pull out, let cool and serve. :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's another my son and I made last night. We're quickly becoming addicted to this one also :D Similar to lasagne.

Spaghetti Pie

Ingredients
  • 1.5 lb Ground beef
  • 16 oz pkg Spaghetti Noodles
  • 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Medium onion - diced
  • 2 jars (14 oz) Spaghetti sauce, or 3.5 cups of homemade sauce
  • 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
  • 4 Tbsp fresh Parsley - finely chopped, or 4 tsp dried flakes.
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese - grated
  • 1 cup Mozzerella cheese
  • 1 can (2.25 oz) Sliced black olives
  • 2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
  • 4 cloves of Garlic - minced, or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F ( 175 C)

Lightly coat a 10 Inch springform pan, pie pan, or 13x9 inch cake pan with no stick spray, or use no stick pans.

Brown the ground beef. When it's almost done add the diced onions, cook till they're translucent. Remove beef and onion mixture and drain, set aside.

In a large pot, add 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp Olive oil to water and bring to boil. Add spaghetti noodles. Cook half the time specified on the package, they'll finish cooking in the oven.

While the noodles are cooking add 3 cups of the sauce to a large mixing bowl. Also add the Ricotta cheese, 1/2 the parsley, 3 eggs, the 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, olives, 1 tsp salt, garlic, and beef/onion mixture. Mix well.

Once the noodles are done, drain them, then put them back in the pot and pour in the sauce mixture. Mix well so the noodles are evenly coated with suace.

Pour the sphagetti from the pot to the pan and spread evenly. Cover the top with the mozzerella cheese, the remaining parmesan and the remaining parsley.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese on top is bubbly and golden brown.

While spaghetti is cooking heat the remaining sauce and use for breadsticks or similar.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This one is another family favourite, it came down from my Grandma.

Cold Warm Up - it never had a name but we all knew by this as it used left overs from the Sunday dinner. I adapted it as I rarely had any left overs.

500g stewing steak or cold roast beef
3 large old potatoes cooked and mashed
1 large onion cut into wedges
Salt and pepper to taste.

Cook the steak in the oven for 30 minutes, allow to cool and mince with the onion. If you're using cold beef it doesn't need cooking again just mincing. I use a good old fashioned hand mincer, the sort that screws on to a work top. Mix the meat and onion into the mashed potato with salt and pepper. Form into round patties (like fish cakes) and fry in butter until nicely browned on both sides and serve with veg.

LadyFang618

3 Year Member

Cold Warm Up - it never had a name but we all knew by this as it used left overs from the Sunday dinner. I adapted it as I rarely had any left overs.

Cook the steak in the oven for 30 minutes, allow to cool and mince with the onion. If you're using cold beef it doesn't need cooking again just mincing. I use a good old fashioned hand mincer, the sort that screws on to a work top. Mix the meat and onion into the mashed potato with salt and pepper. Form into round patties (like fish cakes) and fry in butter until nicely browned on both sides and serve with veg.
That sounds delicious

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Ill have to try that tonight. Give me as excuse to pay with my new fryer lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Thought it would be fun, since we have members from around the world, for people to post their favorite recipes, and because i love to cook i'm always looking for new dishes to try.

Here's one to start that I love :) It's addictive and very filling, one of those dishes you pop the button on your jeans and unzip them half way before eating.

Grown up Mac N Cheese

Ingredients

• 16 oz Elbow Macaroni noodles
  • Italian flavored bread crumbs
  • 12 oz bacon
  • 16 oz Velveeta Jalapeno cheese
  • 8 oz Mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 8 oz Colby Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1.5 cup milk (360 mil)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder or 4 fresh cloves
  • 1 tsp Cayenne pepper powder
  • 1 tsp Dried Oregano or 1 Tbsp fresh Oregano
  • 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 F ( 190 C )

Lightly coat the cake pan with non-stick spray, or use a non-stick pan.

Cook the bacon so it's medium rare, it will cook more in the oven. then chop the bacon into small pieces.

Add water per the macaroni noodle package instructions to a large pot. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp Olive oil to the water, bring to boil and add the noodles. Cook the noodles half the time as instructed on the package, fully cooked noodles will be overcooked when put in the oven.

While the water is waiting to boil, cut the Velveeta into small cubes so it melts faster. Then in a sauce pan on medium heat add the milk, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, and the cubed Velveeta. Stir often to keep the mixture from scalding. Once the Velveeta is mostly melted add 4 oz of both the Cheddar and Colby Jack cheese, the remaining seasonings (paprika, garlic, etc.) and half of the chopped bacon. Stir the mixture so all the seasonings are spread evenly throughout. Cook this mixture until all the cheese has melted, the mixture should be somewhat thick and creamy, not runny.

By this time the noodles should be done cooking. Turn the burner off, drain the noodles, do not rinse, then return them to the large pot. Put the noodles and pot on the hot burner and add the cheese mixture. The residual heat from the cooling burner will help keep the cheese mixture from firming up. Fold in the noodles to the cheese mixture. Try not to over stir and break the noodles.

Pour the mixture into the cake pan, spread evenly. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the cheese and noodle mix, so there's a thin layer over it all, you'll want to be able to see the noodles and cheese through the breadcrumb layer. Sprinkle the remaining bacon evenly over the breadcrumbs, then top with the remaining cheese.

Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. remove from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes for the cheese to firm up inside a bit, then serve.

Since its grown up mac and cheese its served with a side of jack and coke right? Now thats a good meal!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bachelor's Suprise:
2 cups Amsterdam vodka(cold)
5 ice cubes(frozen)
Put them in a large glass.
Drink while playing music, video games, a movie, reading a good book, maintaining your collection, internet browsing, whatever you fancy.
Wait for medicinal effects.
Refill as needed.
(Under no circumstances should you get into online arguments in this critical period.)
After 3-4 hrs, eat something healthy to balance out your sinful, gluttonous behavior. I like fruits and vegetables (pretty much all of them). I always feel superior when I eat them. Lately it's baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, and radishes, dipped in ranch dressing.
Watermelon or pineapple as desert.
Rest.
Upon waking, drink lots of water.
Take 50 mg of prilosec on a sick stomach filled with water.
Suprise!
You can thank me later:D

Latest posts