• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

excavator clay usage

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a versi shipping to me this week, and I was prepping an enclosure, realized I had NO cork bark large enough for anything, decided to try something different....

Trimmed and split a water bottle, played with it till I liked the size, made some of the clay soupy and started painting it on, built up inside and outside, then rolled it in the dry clay, I
also used it for a substrate dam in the enclosure, actually think it might work, enclosure is one of the nicer clear hefty containers, 2.5' deep 5" wide 7.5 tall.
The clay works well to weigh it down and make it more stable as well, regular eco earth over everything and about a third of the way up inside the 'stump'
edit: going to throw a few glass beads in the water cup, just haven't as yet))

Thoughts ?
weSAEQIm.jpg
gJ9Utybm.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ha, looks good Kymura! Its funny you brought this up, I have to get some of that for two H arizonensis. You like it?
Mass so far I LOVE this stuff,
if this dries as I expect it to, (hard enough to stay), then I am redoing several enclosures,
I made it soupy to start then added the sandy clay till it got workable,
its typical sandy clay and drying nice so far,
hoping it dries sort of hard, if it doesn't then I am going to Lowes and getting a can of
GREAT STUFF Pond and Stone and doing it with that, ^*^

Thistles

3 Year Member
Neat idea. Let us know how it stands up to humidity, please. I've mixed excavator with peat in a balfouri tank, but I'm not creative enough to have thought of something like that. The mixture I've got as substrate has lasted very well for a few years, but it's a very dry enclosure.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Neat idea. Let us know how it stands up to humidity, please. I've mixed excavator with peat in a balfouri tank, but I'm not creative enough to have thought of something like that. The mixture I've got as substrate has lasted very well for a few years, but it's a very dry enclosure.
Figure for my dryer babies it will be fine, and I could lightly brush it with aquarium silicone and roll it in a bit off loose clay for the others :p Once its sealed in that shouldnt be any issues. (i hope....)
Definitely let you all know how it goes.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I have a versi shipping to me this week, and I was prepping an enclosure, realized I had NO cork bark large enough for anything, decided to try something different....

Trimmed and split a water bottle, played with it till I liked the size, made some of the clay soupy and started painting it on, built up inside and outside, then rolled it in the dry clay, I
also used it for a substrate dam in the enclosure, actually think it might work, enclosure is one of the nicer clear hefty containers, 2.5' deep 5" wide 7.5 tall.
The clay works well to weigh it down and make it more stable as well, regular eco earth over everything and about a third of the way up inside the 'stump'
edit: going to throw a few glass beads in the water cup, just haven't as yet))

Thoughts ?
weSAEQIm.jpg
gJ9Utybm.jpg
I laughed, because I did the same thing!!!
I was making an enclosure, and nothing big enough for a hide. I cut and spackled clay onto a bottle and while wet, I sprinkled substrate and moss on it. I thought it worked great!!
Nice job. I was kind of embarrassed, til I heard it now.

Latest posts